• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triodes and current flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little thought exercise. How does the charge alone make it through the wire to the terminals of the circuit if there is no load i.e. an open circuit. The potential difference still travels through the conductor to the terminals, but no current flows and no electrons have moved...

How do you know that?
When you measure you create current flow. Even when you measure by a peace of cigarette paper on a distance, it is the current already that charges paper-conductor space.

I was once told by a Solid State Physics Professor that electrons were like women, they are all the same.... go figure...
He also made the comment that tubes were obsolete and had the inherent flaw that ejected unrecombined electrons as rare as it was, would slowly fill up the tube until reaching the grid/plate super-structure causing it to fail. :confused: A colourful character to say the least. None of the prof's went into tube theory, I'l have to learn that the hard way and from all of you that are willing.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
This thread reminds me of the way a lawyer attempts to make apparent nonsense of an expert witness's evidence -- by being obtuse, pedantic, tricky and downright obnoxious. However, in this case it isn't working because the audience of the "lawyer" in question is not some uninformed jury. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.