• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Martel FAX-200C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a Martel FAX-200C receiver available in my area. My research suggests this company was a precursor to Rotel. Importer, at least. Unit was made in Japan. 6BM8 tubes. Seller says 27 watts. Research (Google) suggests less. Unit has been cleaned and serviced. Looks good, sounds good, everything works. Not much is known about these. No schematics available, that I can see. Seller wants $425. Seems perhaps high, but this would be the fairly high quality point-to-point unit that I probably need, for learning. Plus......maybe it sounds good. That's what I'm really after. Good sound. Anybody got advice for me?

There is a Martel FAX-200C receiver available in my area. My research suggests this company was a precursor to Rotel. Importer, at least. Unit was made in Japan. 6BM8 tubes. Seller says 27 watts. Research (Google) suggests less. Unit has been cleaned and serviced. Looks good, sounds good, everything works. Not much is known about these. No schematics available, that I can see. Seller wants $425. Seems perhaps high, but this would be the fairly high quality point-to-point unit that I probably need, for learning. Plus......maybe it sounds good. That's what I'm really after. Good sound. Anybody got advice for me?

Trust yourself. Listen with your own ears and as many constants as possible (known source material, your own CDP, etc). If you can, bring known speakers to the sellers and hook it up, do it.

If you agree to pay his price, maybe he'll offer you a trial period in which to evaluate it in your own system.

If you can't do any of the above, walk away.

Stuart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.