6n6p headphone amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6n6p headphone amp

Hello all

Just sourced 4 pr NOS ( 1965 ) of these tubes for a SESS tube headphone amp ala Ciuffoli. I'll breadboard the circuit with the OPT in house, a Transcendar w/ a 5K primary - 4/8 ohm secondary.

To get started, I thought I'd use the chassis and power supply from my Decware ZSLA-1 Sig. It's SS and is about 440v before the filter sections. I'm going to hit the tubes w/ 120v@30ma, so I've got a lot of voltage to drop. I could use CRCRC to get it down, RLCLC ( I've got a 10H and a 5H choke in house ),or CRC- CCS - OD3 - RC.

I'm kind of leaning toward the shunt gas reg set-up, as I understand it is effective at isolating the power supply noise from the circuit. Being a newbie I need all the help I can get.

Eventually I'll build a new supply using a transfo that starts off closer to my target voltage. It's just that I already have everything in house to do any of the above, so I thought I'd start playing around to hear how the circuit sounds.

So my question.

Basically, since I'm using an OPT designed for an EL84, I'm building a very low powered spud amp. I remember reading that regulated power supplies are great with low signal level stages, however they tend to suck the life out of the music if used in an output stage. I haven't got a clue myself, so I'd like to rely on the collective wisdom of this group. If your collective experience indicates that I should shy away from the gas regs in this set-up, I won't waste time breadboarding it. Likewise, if there is a significant advantage/disadvantage to employing either of the other two options, I'd like to hear it. Feel free to throw some theory in if you wish. I'm actually starting to understand it a little.

I thank you all in advance for your help and advice.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!