diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   1959 Blaupunkt receiver capacitors -Newbie (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/176962-1959-blaupunkt-receiver-capacitors-newbie.html)

Omegaman 9th November 2010 05:29 PM

1959 Blaupunkt receiver capacitors -Newbie

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first re-cap job, and my first post to this site.

I am replacing the capacitors on my 1959 Blaupunkt 40400 receiver and I do not know how to go about selecting replacements for these capacitors.

Can anyone please advise me on what these caps are for and what I would use to replace them

Any help would be appreciated

Rod Coleman 9th November 2010 09:20 PM

Electrolytic [polarised] capacitors sound bad when they get old. When they get older still, they may leak corrosive fluid, or even explode. Changing them is the right thing.

4uF 350V would be expected to be for power supply stabilising. The value is not very critical. I recommend Nichicon VR series 4.7uF 450V for that position. Panasonics of many different series sound good too.

Don't use cheap unbranded or 'unknown' caps. They sound bad and have short life.

Omegaman 10th November 2010 04:23 PM

I used the wrong caps for the coupling capacitors

Thanks for assisting me in this endeavor

I realized I did not use 10% capacitors for the .022 450v coupling caps.

I will go and buy quality 10% 22t (.022uf) caps for the coupling caps and replace the ones I just put in with the 10% ones

I think I could put the new 4uf 450 filter caps (in the photo) underneath to preserve the original can caps look on top

Frank Berry 10th November 2010 05:22 PM

Don't leave the original filter caps in the circuit. Remove them.
At their age, the caps are probably not good. If they develop a short, they can damage the printed circuitry.

DF96 10th November 2010 08:52 PM

For audio coupling caps in a typical receiver circuit 50% tolerance would be perfectly adequate! If the original were 0.022uF then you can probably use anything from 0.01uF to 0.047uF. There would be a minor difference in bass, but you are unlikely to notice.

kruesi 10th November 2010 11:16 PM

Much as I admire German engineering, I have to say that caps of this vintage are most certainly dried out- I'd replace them without a second thought. I've had good luck with Nichicon- don't know if they make any 4uF 350V but I wouldn't be surprised..!

es44 11th November 2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omegaman (Post 2360640)
I think I could put the new 4uf 450 filter caps (in the photo) underneath to preserve the original can caps look on top

If You, for "cosmetic reasons", want to preserve the look of the old capacitors, You can carefully remove the "guts" of them :smash:, and put the new capacitors in the empty shell with a small dab of hot glue.
I have seen this done in vintage radios, in most cases the new ones are physically smaller than the original.
Just my few cents.

Happy renovation.
Ebbe

Omegaman 11th November 2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 2360891)
For audio coupling caps in a typical receiver circuit 50% tolerance would be perfectly adequate! If the original were 0.022uF then you can probably use anything from 0.01uF to 0.047uF. There would be a minor difference in bass, but you are unlikely to notice.

Good news, since twice handled is twice work

I'll get those filter caps replaced today

Omegaman 11th November 2010 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I did for these can caps

I just pulled them off and soldered new caps underneath

That should work ok?

costis_n 12th November 2010 12:05 PM

Looks good! Just keep the polarity correct!