• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1959 Blaupunkt receiver capacitors -Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first re-cap job, and my first post to this site.

I am replacing the capacitors on my 1959 Blaupunkt 40400 receiver and I do not know how to go about selecting replacements for these capacitors.

Can anyone please advise me on what these caps are for and what I would use to replace them

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• can%20caps.jpg
    can%20caps.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 321
Electrolytic [polarised] capacitors sound bad when they get old. When they get older still, they may leak corrosive fluid, or even explode. Changing them is the right thing.

4uF 350V would be expected to be for power supply stabilising. The value is not very critical. I recommend Nichicon VR series 4.7uF 450V for that position. Panasonics of many different series sound good too.

Don't use cheap unbranded or 'unknown' caps. They sound bad and have short life.

I used the wrong caps for the coupling capacitors

Thanks for assisting me in this endeavor

I realized I did not use 10% capacitors for the .022 450v coupling caps.

I will go and buy quality 10% 22t (.022uf) caps for the coupling caps and replace the ones I just put in with the 10% ones

I think I could put the new 4uf 450 filter caps (in the photo) underneath to preserve the original can caps look on top

I think I could put the new 4uf 450 filter caps (in the photo) underneath to preserve the original can caps look on top

If You, for "cosmetic reasons", want to preserve the look of the old capacitors, You can carefully remove the "guts" of them :smash:, and put the new capacitors in the empty shell with a small dab of hot glue.
I have seen this done in vintage radios, in most cases the new ones are physically smaller than the original.
Just my few cents.

Happy renovation.
Ebbe

Thanks for the feed back. It REALLY helps me keep moving forward and builds my artifical confidence

I just have two more sets of capacitors that I need some advise on.

These small, brown, 0,04uf 150v look like molded caps

Should I change these out?
Any idea what they are for?

I noticed on this particular capacitor set that they do not appear to match the schematic. I only see two on the schematic

Any advise on these caps would be of great help to me

Capacitors C846, C847. Wierd little tiny wire tube ones and an unmatching golden one

The schematic says 12, so is that 12pf?

The picture shows the two different caps one is clearly marked C847 and the other is the gold one, Should I change to match these? What are they for?

Again please advise

These pictures show lots of oldcaps that have been changed already, so don't flame me for the electrolytics visible.thanks

Attachments

• odd caps.jpg
    odd caps.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Amp section.jpg
    Amp section.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 160
OK I replaced the brown molded .04uf 150v with .047 250v orange dip caps

I did not change the 12pf caps. I have some 22pf caps if I need to change those

Man am I SCARED to power this up. I have been checking and rechecking my work for 3 days now.

Time to power it up TONIGHT

C846 and C847 are denoted with an extra "dot" on the schematic which probably denotes the side that the outer wrapping of the capacitor is connected to. This is done to minimize noise pickup. I'm guessing that these don't need to be touched. As long as the correct value of fuse is installed (never assume!) you should be okay to power it up.

I powered it up and it works! Sounds great. Nice and clear

So a newbie CAN change caps and resistors and by being careful saving money by doing it yourself

Thanks for everyone who assisted and advised me in this, my first re-cap of a tube amp

Now I am going to recap EVERYTHING

I am so happy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.