• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ground loop problems - looking for opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

Just finished building this 6BM8 amp, sounds very nice when every channel is tested separatly, but when connected together one channel sounds 40% louder then the other and the lower one is distorted. I suspect the grounds to be the problem because when I disconnect the ground wire it is OK. I have builet separate power supplies but the ground is still connected via the tuner I am using. Decupling the ground solves the problem.

What I do not understand is why connecting the R and L grounds creates the problem and how can I solve it without using a transformer in the input.

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~ces58160/tubeamp/6bm8/6bm8pp.html

Thank you very much.

Glass_painter

Ground loops?

Hi,

Yes, this was my guess as well so I looked at the DC volages, they do change but very little and all values are in spec (connected or not). I even took the power supply apart and built a dubble PS separate for aech side, now the only mutual wire is ground.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Glass_painter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.