Project: Baldwin Tube Amp... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2010, 07:45 PM   #31
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Just sent my brother a message asking about the 6L6's and he says they're Shuguang tubes. Just thought I'd put that out there.
Old 6th November 2010, 07:54 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I would pull them and clean the sockets and pins before rushing out and buying more tubes.

jeff
Old 6th November 2010, 08:21 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I would pull them and clean the sockets and pins before rushing out and buying more tubes.

jeff
I plan on doing that actually. What would be the best way of cleaning them? Probably use some Deoxit, but what about actually, physically cleaning the sockets?

Also...

I'm sitting here listening to some Yellowjackets and man is this amp tight and punchy! It has that nice hard "thwack" that goes right through your body, and I'm not even playing it that loud. I can't being in an apartment and all. But still, it's got a nice hard hit to it. I did crank it for a few seconds and it only got better and never ran out of steam, even with these 86dB NHT's. The bass is very healthy and articulate and have plenty of texture and detail. Loads of drive and attack!

Sound stage width and depth is equally amazing. It easily stretches out pass the speakers in all directions, not to mention that the speakers practically disappear in the process. Vocals and soloists float in space either in front of slightly behind the speakers and wall. There's a great sense of "being there" with a very tactile feel. Midrange presence and detail is excellent. Little nuances near and far can easily be heard and located across the stage. There's even a great deal of stage hight which of course gives a good sense of a life size performer right in the room.

The top end is just as magical as the rest of it. Open, detailed, airy, controlled, extended and clean with that typical tube warmth to it, but never veiled or held back by any means of the term.

This amp truly displays and goes well beyond the original cost of the NHT 2.9's asking price of $2500. I have heard loudspeakers at 4x the price of the NHT's that didn't even come close to sounding this good, and all it took was an old 50+ year old tube amp to get the job done right. Then again, that's saying an awful lot about how good this amp sounds too. I noticed this two years ago when I had this amp in my old system. It easily blew away everything I had previous to using the Baldwin, including the Aragon, Cary and the then Adcom I was using at the time. The Consonance M100SE amp I had never even came anywhere close to sounding like this amp.
Old 6th November 2010, 08:38 PM   #34
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Hey Chops,

Yeah, you can never really rule out flakey tubes. They are always a crap-shoot; Chinese, Russian, used, new, NOS, even some Mullards, whatever -- there are plenty of trouble-makers out there vying for duty in our amps. It's just the nature of their construction and/or age.

Swapping them out one at a time starting with the cheapest ones might save you a few bucks. Buy them from a dealer that offers returns if they turn out to be flakey (i.e., not eBay). If you replace the output tubes, it would be worthwhile to get the push-pull pairs matched.

But clean the contacts first. Use Deox-it and some small slightly abrasive object (like a gently turned small drill bit?) to scratch (gently) into some fresh metal. Unplug the amp before you do it.

..Todd
Old 6th November 2010, 08:49 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Hey Chops,

Yeah, you can never really rule out flakey tubes. They are always a crap-shoot; Chinese, Russian, used, new, NOS, even some Mullards, whatever -- there are plenty of trouble-makers out there vying for duty in our amps. It's just the nature of their construction and/or age.

Swapping them out one at a time starting with the cheapest ones might save you a few bucks. Buy them from a dealer that offers returns if they turn out to be flakey (i.e., not eBay). If you replace the output tubes, it would be worthwhile to get the push-pull pairs matched.

But clean the contacts first. Use Deox-it and some small slightly abrasive object (like a gently turned small drill bit?) to scratch (gently) into some fresh metal. Unplug the amp before you do it.

..Todd
Hi Todd,

Yeah, the same holds true with computer equipment as well.

I'll only start replacing tubes if cleaning all the contacts doesn't help first. If cleaning them completely solves the problem, then I have need to replace the tubes, especially the way this amp is sounding right now. It's simply amazing. And of course, getting matched pairs is a must.

I've got plenty of drill bits to go around, so I'll do that as soon as I get my hands on some Deoxit. I think it's kind of funny that you mention unplugging the amp first, but I suppose some people totally skip that and going spraying and cleaning with it plugged in. At any rate Todd, thanks for the tip on cleaning the sockets!
Old 6th November 2010, 09:17 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
I plan on doing that actually. What would be the best way of cleaning them? Probably use some Deoxit, but what about actually, physically cleaning the sockets?
I actually had better luck with methyl hydrate (or isopropanol) and some small dental brushes that I picked up at the pharmacy.

I tried Deoxit in the output sockets once, but it tends to bake and smell like burning wire. Probably ok to use on the pins, as you could get most of it off.

jeff
Old 16th November 2010, 04:33 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Finally have a day off to mess around with my amp some more. First thing this morning, I pulled all the tubes and used a 3/32" drill bit to get to fresh material on the big tube sockets. Unfortunately I don't have a bit small enough in my current bit set to get into the 5751 sockets. I have a larger set of drill bits at my parents house, so the next time I'm over there I'll pick up that set and bring them home with me. I think that set has bits small enough to get the job done.

As for the tubes, I used a small utility knife and lightly scraped the pins to get to fresh material on them as well. A bit laborious but it works.

I swapped out the 5751 tubes for a pair of no-name 12AX7's that originally came with the amp. They don't seem to have anymore gain than the 5751's did which I'm somewhat surprised to find out. I don't know how old they are or how long they have been used but they sound fine.

I also swapped out the "jingly" 5U4GB's with a mixed pair from my father's collection. Both are old tubes out of old radios. One is labeled as a "Realistic Lifetime" and the other a Sylvania. The new 5U4's do NOT jingle like the other ones did. Since I have to return these tubes back to my father, I'll be buying some new 5U4's at some point.

After doing all of this, I put the new 5U4's and 12AX7's in along with the same 6L6's. I fired the amp back up (after a week and a half of sitting unused) and after about a minute, that same faint sizzling, crackling sound started back up, in the right channel this time. It's strange because it also makes like a squeaky stretching sound while warming up to full operating temp. This stretching sound lasts for several seconds, probably about 5-6 seconds. It reminds me of the sound of a small piece of meat in a microwave oven! LOL

I think I have finally narrowed the issue down to a single output tube. I even turned the amp back off, swapped this single tube with one on the other channel, and the noise transfered to the other channel.

It is in fact one of the 6L6's. I noticed from the very beginning that one of the 6L6's has a very faint bluish haze on the glass when running, yet the other tubes do not. Now I know this is a normal occurrence with a lot of power tubes, but it's odd that just one of the 6L6's has this bluish haze, and it's also the causing the noise. The reason I know it's this tube is because I lightly tapped each tube with my bare finger and when this one was tapped, it effected that sizzle/crackle noise. What's also odd is that all these tubes tested perfectly fine with no shorts and are very closely matched.

So anyway, that's where I'm at at the moment. Since I have a new iPhone 4, I still have my old iPhone 3G laying around, so it's been demoted to an iPod Touch! I have it hooked up to the system via the headphone jack playing jazz through Pandora over the WiFi. I forgot how good this phone sounds as I used to use it on my old 2-ch system a couple years ago as well. It has many many hours of break-in time in that respect, probably upwards of a 1000 hours! I'd like to get an outboard DAC for it eventually.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:50 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuk View Post
This is a typical Baldwin design:
Click the image to open in full size.
The scan is poor but you get the overall idea.
Thanks...Does anyone have a slightly higher res version of this schematic? I've got five of these organ chassis, I'm wanting to convert them into sweet hifi tube stereo amplifiers.
Old 17th March 2014, 02:53 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Smile baldwin home brew stereo 6L6 stereo power amplifier all original parts

I BUILD A BALDWIN STEREO POWER AMP USING ORINAL PARTS AND CIRCUIT. BETTER THEN MOST AMPLIFIERS IN THE MARKET TODAY OR MEGA BRAND VINTAGE AMPLIFIERS.
SOUND REAL GOOD AND SMOOTH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baldwin stereo 6L6 amplifier 1.jpg (72.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Baldwin stereo 6L6 amplifier 3.jpg (79.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Baldwin stereo 6L6 amplifier 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 17th March 2014, 03:01 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Smile baldwin home brew stereo 6L6 stereo power amplifier all original parts

I BUILD A BALDWIN STEREO POWER AMP USING ORINAL PARTS AND CIRCUIT. BETTER THEN MOST AMPLIFIERS IN THE MARKET TODAY OR MEGA BRAND VINTAGE AMPLIFIERS.
SOUND REAL GOOD AND SMOOTH.

Hide this!Advertise here!