Project: Baldwin Tube Amp... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
807tubenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SinCity
Save the Sangamo caps, it's not likely there bad.
__________________
All my battles have been won, But the war has just begun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 04:59 PM   #12
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member
 
chops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Well I'd rather just replace them all and be done with it. I don't want to have to get back into this amp once I get it back up and running.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 05:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
807tubenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SinCity
Eh... OK.



Cut the leads long, ill buy the sangamo type 33's from you.
__________________
All my battles have been won, But the war has just begun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 05:05 PM   #14
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member
 
chops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Why? What's the big deal with them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 05:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
807tubenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SinCity
There just good foil caps, That's my point, Iv saved a few dozen from old amps, never had any that were out of range or tolerance.
__________________
All my battles have been won, But the war has just begun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 12:02 AM   #16
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member
 
chops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeland, Florida
So what you're suggesting is that I should test them (which they'll most likely measure good) and leave them in? That would definitely save me some cash, about $24-40 worth depending on which caps I went with. What about those mica caps? My father says those almost never go bad either. These caps are sonically equal to modern "hifi" caps of today?

Like I said, when the amp worked, it sounded really really good, and I've had and/or heard good amps in my system over the years including several vintage SS McIntosh amps, the Adcom I mentioned earlier, a Carver TFM-35x, an Opera Consonance M100SE and a Cary Audio SLI-80. The Baldwin amp gives them all a very good run for their money, and besting most of them!

I guess I should just focus on the PS and filter caps, getting new electrolytic caps to replace them. I'll need six in total. Anything special here or just the normal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 12:23 AM   #17
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member
 
taj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Old electrolytics are probably most in need of replacement. They don't age well at all. And electrolytics have improved a lot in the past 50 years. Nothing special is required but you may have trouble finding much supply of caps in those high voltage values.

As long as those Sangamo's aren't leaking (current, not liquid ooze) and their value is within reason, then keep them. If you want to replace them without entering the snake oil vat, Sprague orange drop (model 715P or better, 716P) are excellent replacements. Antique Electronic Supply sells 716P's for something like a $1.50 ea. Anything more 'boutique' than those is beyond anyone's advice (though such advice is plentiful). Go with your instincts there.

Keep the micas if their value is within tolerance/reason. They've become somewhat more accurate over the years, but they don't deteriorate as far as I know.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 31st October 2010 at 12:34 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 01:06 AM   #18
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member
 
chops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Old electrolytics are probably most in need of replacement. They don't age well at all. And electrolytics have improved a lot in the past 50 years. Nothing special is required but you may have trouble finding much supply of caps in those high voltage values.

As long as those Sangamo's aren't leaking (current, not liquid ooze) and their value is within reason, then keep them. If you want to replace them without entering the snake oil vat, Sprague orange drop (model 715P or better, 716P) are excellent replacements. Antique Electronic Supply sells 716P's for something like a $1.50 ea. Anything more 'boutique' than those is beyond anyone's advice (though such advice is plentiful). Go with your instincts there.

Keep the micas if their value is within tolerance/reason. They've become somewhat more accurate over the years, but they don't deteriorate as far as I know.

..Todd
I'm sure the electrolytics are the cause of the entire problem. As for finding new caps in the high voltages, I think these should work fine for both the PS and filter sections...

47uF 450V Radial Mini Electrolytic Capacitor | Parts-Express.com


If the Sangomo's measure good, then I'll keep them. However, if they don't, you suggest going with the Sprague Orange Drop 716P's? Are those supposed to be better than the current Sangomo's?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 03:28 AM   #19
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member
 
taj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
If the Sangomo's measure good, then I'll keep them. However, if they don't, you suggest going with the Sprague Orange Drop 716P's? Are those supposed to be better than the current Sangomo's?
Go with your instincts.

..Todd
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 03:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
vinylkid58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
I guess I should just focus on the PS and filter caps, getting new electrolytic caps to replace them. I'll need six in total. Anything special here or just the normal?
Is there any reason why you need two 5U4's? With one rectifier, you would need to replace fewer caps.

jeff
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
converting Baldwin organ amp to guitar PRNDL Tubes / Valves 18 20th September 2011 06:21 AM
First tube amp project: GO! dosilegecko Tubes / Valves 7 24th March 2010 06:25 PM
Baldwin amp, yet another amp conversion project jonton26 Tubes / Valves 0 6th January 2009 12:27 AM
Vintage Baldwin Mono Blocks tube amplifiers ForestGump72 Swap Meet 1 22nd August 2008 10:26 AM
Tube amp project Tomasz Rodak Tubes / Valves 6 26th March 2004 05:03 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2