Power triode drive current requirements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2010, 01:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power triode drive current requirements

My big thing is direct coupled SE triodes. I currently have a DC Darling, with a mu follower type 6SN7 input running at 9.6 mA.

I've been designing a full DHT amp, with a 26 driving a 45, to see what all that DHT talk is about. The 26 can push a good 6-8 mA of current, which I presume should be fine for the 45. However I recently found a pretty good deal on some NOS 30 triodes: NJ7P Tube Database Search

It looks really tempting for a couple of reasons; 1) it would be a cheap way to get my feet wet on the DHT front 2) with that low filament current I could use some serious chokes to get it properly clean.

However, I began to wonder about the current drive capabilities of the 30. Is 3.1 mA really sufficient to drive a 45? What about the 1626? How much current is enough? Is there a way to calculate it from some parameters?
Old 27th October 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You don't drive a class A amplifier with current. Well, at the high frequency end one does need to drive the load capacitance. Calculate the current needed for whatever high end you desire and make sure the tube draws at least that much.

What is DHT? Why do people insist on using acronyms to make themselves seem knowledgeable?

I am an experienced engineer and have, I think, a lot to offer technically. But I am not 'hip' to some of this jargon I read.
Old 27th October 2010, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
DHT means Directly Heated Triode.

Also, very useful for this thread is acronym PIM.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

bob91343:

I have found that the driver stage's current pushing capability greatly affects a power triodes performance - if you don't have enough current, you loose dynamics and body.

"to drive the load capacitance. Calculate the current needed for whatever high end you desire"

How?

PIM? A personal information manager (often referred to as a PIM tool or, more simply, a PIM)?
Old 27th October 2010, 11:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Also, PIM means Phase Inter-Modulation. In tube amps it is often dominated by a weak driver (like 12AX7 with 100K load) driving power triode with huge Miller capacitance.
Old 28th October 2010, 08:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCurwen View Post
How?
Calculate the Miller capacitance of the triode, add a few pF for wiring stray capacitance, and then calculate the reactance at the highest frequency you wish to reproduce. This combined with the max output swing of the driver gives the max current that is needed.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:25 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You don't drive a class A amplifier with current.
Although not often done, there is no reason why a Class A output cannot in principle be used in the grid current regime. You would need a good driver, of course. The fact that grid current is usually associated with Class B (or AB1, AB2) does not mean that Class A cannot use grid current. The Class of an amplifier is defined by the output conduction as a proportion of the total cycle, not the input conduction. Otherwise, you would not be able to do Class A with BJTs!
Old 28th October 2010, 11:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Eimac 100TH being a good example of a candidate for SE class A2 operation.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Account disabled at member's request

Quote: The fact that grid current is usually associated with Class B (or AB1, AB2) does not mean that Class A cannot use grid current.

Wrong. Grid current is associated with class A2 and B2.
When, in a PP stage, one of the active elements is temporarily cut off during a full cycle, we have class B operation.

Pieter
Old 28th October 2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

To be more precise: when one of the devices is always cut off during half a cycle, we have pure class B.
Temporarily cut off depends on biasing; we have class AB then.

Pieter

Hide this!Advertise here!