So, im going to replace the Alps with a PEC...someone help? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2010, 04:46 AM   #11
ncdrawl is offline ncdrawl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavitsk View Post
I've probably used 30 to 40 Alps blue pots over the years, and I've never had one develop a noise problem. I have had some that were not well matched at low volume, but that's about it. Do you live in a particularly harsh environment?
well,

I had the headphone amp in Iraq for 3 tours(afghan for one), so yes... but

I lived in Germany for 6 years, and in NC from 2006-2010 and in Ohio from Jan 2010 till present...

the only thing I can think of is humidity in NC? and I am very careful with my gear. I am a recording engineer and am quite anal about protecting my stuff.
Old 27th October 2010, 04:48 AM   #12
ncdrawl is offline ncdrawl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Ditto on the PEC. I used them but was not happy with them.

A stepped attenuator or a TKD are my choice now. Have had god luck with Noble, too.

a Carolina man, hot damn! Boy I miss Carolina something fierce. panomaniac..which attenuators do you use? and do you like the TKD? If you were to choose between goldpoint and tkd , which way would you go?

anyway....... Hollowstate..what are the advantages of the laddertype?
Old 27th October 2010, 04:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

have you tried cleaning the alps pot with some type of contact cleaner like DeOxit?
Ive had alot of success using DeOxit to remove hiss and poor sound quality in many solid state PA amps like Behringer and QSC
it could just be that theyre dirty...
just be sure there is no power to the unit before using any kind of cleaner...
Old 27th October 2010, 04:54 AM   #14
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

I use Alpha stereo pots! Never had an issue.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:05 AM   #15
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey NCDrawl.

The TKD I liked a lot, so did those who heard it in a product. It's $$$ for a pot, tho. I've bought a few attenuators off eBay and from Australia that have been very nice. Such as mentioned above. Have also used the little SMD versions that are now on eBay. Not had any trouble yet, but they are not of the substantial mechanical quality of the big switch types.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdrawl View Post
If you were to choose between goldpoint and tkd ...
Not to make your life difficult, but the TKD has a larger bushing than the Alps. And, I'll bet dollars to donuts the Goldpoint does, too. Same for the ebay cheapo stepper. I think the Nobles are the same as the Alps (you can get them at Percy) and probably a few others.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:26 AM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, I believe the Noble is the same as Alps. The others are larger.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've used PEC pots with good results - but they were mono and each in a different monoblock amplifier. So no channel-to-channel tracking issues

The Goldpoint is also a great option - my last DIY preamp used one and it was flawless in operation.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:53 PM   #19
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Also most of the " cheap Alps blue" on the market are chinese fakes. I'd use cheap open frame alps or other and bottle of deoxit spray
Old 27th October 2010, 01:22 PM   #20
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

This is interesting. I've never heard of an Alps doing this....however, I have one that is scratchy. I thought I was the only one. Mine is an environmental issue though. I had this reciever in the garage for a year and the Alps got loaded up with gunk. If you want a really cool and CLEAN V-pot, you should look at the LightSpeed optical Vpot

Hide this!Advertise here!