Pio russian capacitor K42-11...is good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The different suffix,11, may mean it is a variant for special purpose,for instance,high frequency use. I am sure some member of the forum will know this.

Actually, I have just looked at the ones you mean(which I have not tried) and they seem to be large value lower voltage without the usual glass sealed steel case.

I did not see post number 2- yes,probably no oil!

Last edited:
K42Y-2 is a PIO capacitor ?

Friends

Some time ago I got a lot of K42Y-2 tubes in ebay.
I make a comparation with a old ( 60´s) brazilian made PIO capacitor( the brand make this oil capacitor until today here) and the brazilian sound best...this K42Y-2 is really PIO or for the russians sellers PIO is Plastic In Oil ?
In ebay have a confusion and few information about the material used in this russian capacitors...

Aldovan

Here is some info from Russian book:

Low voltage, low frequency caps:
Paper: КБГ (КБГ-И, КБГ-МН, КБГ-МП), ОКБГ (ОКБГ-И, ОКБГ-МН, ОКБГ-МП. ОКБГ-М), БГТ, К40П-2, К40У-5, К40У-9, К40-11, БМ-2, БМТ-2
Metallized paper: МБГ (МБГП, МБГЦ), МБГИ, МБГН, МБГО, МБГТ, МБГЧ (МБГЧ-1, МБГЧ-2), МБМ, КМБП, К42У-2, К42П-5, К42Ч-6, К42-4, К42-8, К42-11, К42-18, К42-19
That's all I can find

Wavebourn, no need to apologize for your English; your written skills are much better than the verbal skills of many native American English speakers I know. :)

I recently completed a VTA ST-70 build, and I went with the Russian PIO cap upgrade. I can't say they made a difference as I didn't hear the amp before installing them. I can say the amp sounds very nice. I was struck by their physical size though. They're relatively huge!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have used either K75-10 or K75-24 in every amp I have built but always as either bypass caps for the power supply electrolytics or in the snubbing network in choke input PSU. I think it would be hard to find better caps for this purpose.
I guess they might also be suitable for parafeed caps.

Ervinl; K40U-9 and K42U-2 are available up to 1600V. Excellent eflog seller Dmitriy Kolevatov (user name uralspirit) has good selection at higher voltage and is happy to sell small numbers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.