Home theater magic smoke...smoked and I think I heard a mirror crack... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2010, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home theater magic smoke...smoked and I think I heard a mirror crack...

So it finally happened, My yamaha got to meet the yamaha maker so I am now left with an interesting bit of fun.

I've been following the Pete Millet's new PP amp with interest and with a 50 - 100 wpc possibility for @ $400 complete I see a glowing home theater in my future. I think two stereo, 1 monoish and eventually figure out the subwoofer.

With that in mind has anyone connected a Home theater processor (one w/ or w/o internal amps) and used tube audio to run their speakers? It could be heresy but I am seeing an opportunity to mix what I am now missing (home theater) with something I really enjoy tube amps. Is there a recommended Dobly/THX 5.1/6.1 or other modern DAC that mixes with tube amps?

the wife slipped the other day, I have IMPLIED Wife approval!! She said "I really like having the tube amp downstairs and you are right the sound is really good and it is cool." I have witnesses and am in the process of getting sworn statements...space may be an issue but I'll work that out later.

Erick
Old 24th October 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

99% of electronics failures are from letting the smoke out. Never let the smoke out! I'll be interested to see what people come up with on this subject though, because I've thought about tube home theater myself...for a time when I have more money.

Last edited by ficklecycler; 24th October 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 25th October 2010, 03:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yeah magic smoke is pretty important stuff, wish I could bottle it.

I guess what I am looking for is a DSP decoder w/o amps. I have taken a look around the other parts of this forum to see if there is such a thing as a DIY DSP decoder...no luck so far.

./e
Old 25th October 2010, 05:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm considering a similar setup, but will be building a 5.1 decoder based on one of John Broskies designs: "L+R and L-R in one stage"

My main Left and Right channels will be a Parallel Push-Pull 6AS7G AB1 (possibly AB2) design. My center speaker (if I need one,) will be a 6V6GT AB1 monoblock. My rear speakers will be an EL84 AB1 UL stereo amplifier.

But for now I am going solid state for my Subwoofer, I've got an Alesis RA500 that will work great until I build a 100w 6550GA monoblock for subwoofer duty.
Old 26th October 2010, 06:18 AM   #5
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

doing this is no problem at all. I have had a Rotel DSP1066 hooked up to tube amps for several years. I think I may have seen some remote volume control/input selector kits on ebay, and maybe even a surround sound decoder kit.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 26th October 2010, 07:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok just drove most of the day, brain not function right...short version Brodskie's made my head hurt. need to look at it again when brain no hurt.

the drop in solution, like Rotel, was what I had in mind. Need to look more into both and see what I want to do.

Am I calling what I want correctly? it is a DSP decoder? I havent looked for this style device in so long so I want to make sure when I start googling for possiblities/reviews I actually find what I'm looking for.

./e
Old 26th October 2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

My set up is perhaps too basic, but I simply got one of those Sony blu-ray players that has the deconder built in. They brought them out because many people bought decoders/receivers already that aren't capable of using the lossless compression format from bluray so Sony put full 7.1 analogue outputs on the back of their consumer blu-ray players. It works.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

bigun, forgot all about that as an option. so need to do some more research cool. I read about ARCAM.AV8888 last night and was getting really excite until I found the liste price...a lowly $6k. ok that's outa my league.

./e
Old 27th October 2010, 05:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm a simple sort of guy - if I wanted what you wanted, I would pick a middle-of-the-road AV receiver with pre-outs.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
I'm a simple sort of guy - if I wanted what you wanted, I would pick a middle-of-the-road AV receiver with pre-outs.
This is actually a pretty good solution. You can use the pre-outs for your front channels with tube amps, and use the internal amps for the surround duties. This unloads the internal power supply for better power handling of the internal amps that are used. It also allows a step-by-step build of your hi-fi system. You can have two tube amps to start, expand as your building budget allows.

Years ago when I looked at this very solution, some of the AV receivers had very good decoders. The difference in the lower budget to higher budget models looked like improvements in the amplifier section rather than the decoders section of the circuit. At that time I think Denon had some well reviewed models for this purpose, but I am sure things have changed some in the 5-6 years since I last looked at this.

Cheers,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!