• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone have a Bugle Boy logo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I'm trying to figure out what the heck the bugleboy logo has behind the bugle near 'his' hands. Do you have a clear picture of that logo? I've been puzzling about this for weeks now, searching the net, staring at photos, etc., but I can't find a clear logo, just the tube stamping. :rolleyes:

..Todd

Attachments

• bugle_boy_logo.jpg
    bugle_boy_logo.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 190

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Thanks Dave. I saw that. I think it's the cuffs on the under his hands that I was seeing, but they are overly huge on some tubes making it look like a bus parked ( or a D9 Cat maybe) behind the bugle. Ah well. Optical illusion I guess, or I'm losing my marbles, what little I have left.

Did they print that logo on boxes or datasheets? I could only find it stamped on tubes.

..Todd

I think it's the cuffs on the under his hands that I was seeing, but they are overly huge on some tubes making it look like a bus parked ( or a D9 Cat maybe) behind the bugle.
I'll have to admit I thought you were nuts about the D9 thing until I saw Dave R's link. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to visually finagle a bulldozer out of those cuffs! :p

Parenthetically, I have boatloads of Amperex 6DJ8's culled from old Tektronix oscilloscopes - but alas, none have the coveted "Bugle Boy" logo. From what I've seen on the net, the difference in value between the "BB" and "non-BB" (from ostensibly the same manufacturer) is substantial. For what reason, I have no earthly idea.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
From what I've seen on the net, the difference in value between the "BB" and "non-BB" (from ostensibly the same manufacturer) is substantial. For what reason, I have no earthly idea.

The difference in value between the same tubes (made on the same assembly line) with different branding can be blamed on... BRANDING, pure and simple. In fact, if I taught a course on branding, this would be a wonderful example of 'viral' branding... marketing executed by the market. The value needs only to exist in perception.

If you have such a tube, rejoice and enjoy the music. It's only when you sell it that you are at a disadvantage. Buying, on the other hand... ;)

..Todd

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi Todd,

Have a look at a bugle. The picture in post #2 looks like bottom part of the bugle has been removed so it doesn't interfere with the cuffs.

regards

Greg, that's it, you nailed it! Thank You! That particularly primitive version of the logo (in msg #4) looks to have the loop in the bugle still intact, while more advanced versions (I'll assume later versions) removed the loop to clarify things (and make it look more like a clarinet, oboe or soprano sax.).

I can sleep now. :)

Dave, thanks for chipping in.

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.