Advice Needed: "Flabby" Amp Low-End - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2010, 01:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to independentexile Send a message via Skype™ to independentexile
Question Advice Needed: "Flabby" Amp Low-End

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little advice to help me fix a Peavey Bravo 112. The amp sounds fine when the low and mid ranges are set real low. However, when I turn up the bottom end roughly at or past halfway, the amp starts making distorted sounds - and not the good kind. The best way that I can think to describe it is "flabby". It almost reminds me of a piece of paper flopping around in the wind or when it's tied to the front of a fan. If it would help, I would be glad to post a sound file. This problem is affecting both clean and distorted channels. Turning up the mids make it even worse.

I have replaced the tubes and tried turning the reverb down all the way, but neither of these quick fixes had any effect. Any suggestions? Obviously, I'm hoping that the speaker might be the culprit, but I'm not sure. If this may be the case, any suggestions as to where to purchase a new speaker?

Thanks much!
Josh
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

easy enough to test the speaker by just hooking it to a radio and see if you hear same type of distortion.
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

use the below spl calculator to determine if you have enought watts in your amp for the room and speakers you are using relative to the seating distance.

Peak SPL Calculator

the position of the volume knob does not mean anything, if you have enough input drive, you an hit your rated output before you get near volume center point.

Hide this!Advertise here!