• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Advice Needed: "Flabby" Amp Low-End

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm looking for a little advice to help me fix a Peavey Bravo 112. The amp sounds fine when the low and mid ranges are set real low. However, when I turn up the bottom end roughly at or past halfway, the amp starts making distorted sounds - and not the good kind. The best way that I can think to describe it is "flabby". It almost reminds me of a piece of paper flopping around in the wind or when it's tied to the front of a fan. If it would help, I would be glad to post a sound file. This problem is affecting both clean and distorted channels. Turning up the mids make it even worse.

I have replaced the tubes and tried turning the reverb down all the way, but neither of these quick fixes had any effect. Any suggestions? Obviously, I'm hoping that the speaker might be the culprit, but I'm not sure. If this may be the case, any suggestions as to where to purchase a new speaker?

Thanks much!
Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.