• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 SE Complete Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So basically a kit with all parts, including tubes, less the chassis.

Is one of the main requirements a written assembly manual and layout? The layout, connections, and grounding scheme are all very important. If so, that may be an easy option.

I can second this. Offering a version of the kit without the chassis is going to be one of the best ways to keep the price down, to sell a few kits quickly up front, and to get versions of your amp up and running. I do admire that you want this to be a complete package, but there are people on the forums that would love to do the chassis themselves too.

I'd say that a manual would be a very important feature that a kit could include.

I realize that a manual is important. If you don't require a chassis, then all the parts for this amp are readily available from many suppliers without having to buy a kit. There is a very long thread on this site detailing the build of the SE KT88 amp. The only thing missing would be a concise detailed assembly manual. That was the reason for my question.

I would appreciate the complete package; assembly manual, parts and chassis because I simply don't possess the necessary skills or experience to do it all now. I only have my interest and the desire to learn more. This kit would be a great step towards perhaps one day designing and building my own amp or whatever. This site is full of exhaustive threads on every imaginable design for those with the sufficient know-how to proceed on their own.

For some, like myself, a written assembly manual and layout are necessary. The chasis would be a nice add-on to your offering, though not essential. If that simplifies your task, you might get a 0.9 version faster than the full concept you are working on.
Thanks again.

Re the KT88 SE Kit.

" There is a very long thread on this site detailing the build of the SE KT88 amp"

I am only speaking for myself here, and have read this thread and a lot of others and they all seem to end up with something that works but also they have a lot of tweaks and variations from the original circuit (Abdellah).Which is beyond me. i can read a circuit but do not know how it works exactly.
Because i cannot see the final circuit diagram details, your kit sounds good, especially if it comes with construction layout details. Living in Australia we have a slight freight/weight problem and different voltage supply difference, so this may affect your kit. But i am willing to pay you for a short form kit minus the chassis and transformers especially if you supply the specifications for the iron.
Rob

Based on your input as well as others, we might even start with v0.8.9

I'll do my best to divert in that direction temporarily based on requests.

Thanks,

Scott

For some, like myself, a written assembly manual and layout are necessary. The chasis would be a nice add-on to your offering, though not essential. If that simplifies your task, you might get a 0.9 version faster than the full concept you are working on.
Thanks again.

I have finalized the cost for the basic parts, less transformers and chassis. This will include a detailed layout and assembly instructions provided on CD. I am in the process of assembling the amp and will document the process throughout with photos and written instructions.

I am still in the process of hopefully obtaining the custom lay-down style transformers. It's proven to be a little difficult. In the meantime, the transformers I will be using for the initial build are:

1 - Edcor XPWR010-120/240 Power XFMR
1 - Edcor CXC125-10H-200mA Filter Choke
2 - Edcor GXSE15-6-5K 15W Output Transformer

The Edcor GXSE have a 40-18K Hz frequency response. The transformer I hope to end up with will be 20-20K Hz frequency response. It will be interesting to see how the GXSE units perform compared to the 20-20K Hz units I have in my current build. I have read good reviews from people that are using them. Edcor does offer the CXSE25-8-5K, for a little more than double the cost of the GXSE, with a 20-20K Hz frequency response. My thought is that if the GXSE units perform well, it may provide a low-cost alternative. I have looked into possibly providing an aluminum adapter plate that would allow the GXSE unit to be used on my chassis design.

I made a couple of parts changes from my initial post. I have decided to include a volume control, and I have changed the Caddock 560 ohm 10W resistor to a Vishay 560 ohm 10W wirewound resistor to keep the cost under control. Again, when this build is complete I will compare to the unit I have now using the Caddock device. I suspect since the resistor is bypassed, it will make no audible difference.

I have completed the preliminary chassis design and will have to wait until the transformer issue is resolved before I can finalize. I have attached a sample of the layout. The sample does not include most of the dimensions and details that will be included in the kit.

In the next few days I will be photographing the parts kit and I will post it here. Since we are talking about money now, I will eventually have to move this thread to the Vendor Forums section.

The cost for all parts and assembly manual, less transformers, tubes, and chassis will be: $319.00

To include (2) Electro-Harmonix KT-88, (1) Electro-Harmonix 5U4-GB, & (1) Soviet 6N1P-EV add $90 for a total: $409.00

FYI: This amp will run the EL34 tubes and they are about half the cost, but to my ear the KT88 has much more punch, deeper bass, and better overall clarity.

FYI#2: The Edcor transformers I have listed above are about $200.00 + shipping directly from Edcor.

Attachments

• setchassisdimsr0-rel.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Here is a list of the parts included in the basic parts kit:

1 - Assembly Manual on CD

Resistors - Vishay
2 - 220K 1/4W Metal Film 1%
2 - 100R 1W Metal Film 1%
4 - 1K 1/2W Metal Film 1%
2 - 1.5K 1W Metal Film 1%
2 - 47K 3W Metal Film 1%
2 - 560R 10W Wirewound 1%
1 - 10R 5W Wirewound 5%
2 - 1M 1/4W Metal Film 1%

Capacitors
1 - 30uF Oil Filled Metallized Polypropylene
2 - 50uF Oil Filled Metallized Polypropylene
2 - 10uF 630V Audio Aluminum MP Film
2 - 0.22uF 630V Audio Aluminum MP Film
2 - Elna Silmic II 100uF 25V
2 - Elna Silmic II 220uF 100V
1 - 0.1uF 400V Orange MP
2 - 0.1 uF 630V MP

Connectors, Hardware, etc.
1 - IEC Power Entry EMI/Fuse
2 - Neutrik RCA Socket
4 - Speaker Binding Post
1 - DPDT Toggle Switch
1 - Belton 9-Pin Socket
3 - Belton 8-Pin Socket
2 - 2” Capacitor Clamp
1 - 1.5” Capacitor Clamp
2 - Turret Board
1 - Aluminum Knob
1 - 100K Alps Volume
1 - 2A Slow Blow Fuse
2 - 5H Driver Choke
1 lot - interconnecting wire, terminals, hardware

I have finalized the cost for the basic parts, less transformers and chassis. This will include a detailed layout and assembly instructions provided on CD. I am in the process of assembling the amp and will document the process throughout with photos and written instructions.

I am still in the process of hopefully obtaining the custom lay-down style transformers. It's proven to be a little difficult. In the meantime, the transformers I will be using for the initial build are:

1 - Edcor XPWR010-120/240 Power XFMR
1 - Edcor CXC125-10H-200mA Filter Choke
2 - Edcor GXSE15-6-5K 15W Output Transformer

The Edcor GXSE have a 40-18K Hz frequency response. The transformer I hope to end up with will be 20-20K Hz frequency response. It will be interesting to see how the GXSE units perform compared to the 20-20K Hz units I have in my current build. I have read good reviews from people that are using them. Edcor does offer the CXSE25-8-5K, for a little more than double the cost of the GXSE, with a 20-20K Hz frequency response. My thought is that if the GXSE units perform well, it may provide a low-cost alternative. I have looked into possibly providing an aluminum adapter plate that would allow the GXSE unit to be used on my chassis design.

I made a couple of parts changes from my initial post. I have decided to include a volume control, and I have changed the Caddock 560 ohm 10W resistor to a Vishay 560 ohm 10W wirewound resistor to keep the cost under control. Again, when this build is complete I will compare to the unit I have now using the Caddock device. I suspect since the resistor is bypassed, it will make no audible difference.

I have completed the preliminary chassis design and will have to wait until the transformer issue is resolved before I can finalize. I have attached a sample of the layout. The sample does not include most of the dimensions and details that will be included in the kit.

In the next few days I will be photographing the parts kit and I will post it here. Since we are talking about money now, I will eventually have to move this thread to the Vendor Forums section.

The cost for all parts and assembly manual, less transformers, tubes, and chassis will be: $319.00

To include (2) Electro-Harmonix KT-88, (1) Electro-Harmonix 5U4-GB, & (1) Soviet 6N1P-EV add $90 for a total: $409.00

FYI: This amp will run the EL34 tubes and they are about half the cost, but to my ear the KT88 has much more punch, deeper bass, and better overall clarity.

FYI#2: The Edcor transformers I have listed above are about $200.00 + shipping directly from Edcor.

Here is a photo of the basic parts to be included in the kit. The photo also shows the tubes that will be included if that option is selected.

The chassis has been finalized and the design has been accepted by the manufacturer. There is a lead-time of 6 weeks for the chassis.

Still awaiting production times for the custom transformers. At this point it looks like the initial build for this will still be with the standard Edcor transformers. I will custom cut a chassis so I can get the manual completed as soon as possible, in order to start offering the basic kit.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Attachments

• P1000288.JPG
    P1000288.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,410
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.