KT88 SE Complete Kit - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2010, 10:15 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Here is a list of the parts included in the basic parts kit:

1 - Assembly Manual on CD

Resistors - Vishay
2 - 220K 1/4W Metal Film 1%
2 - 100R 1W Metal Film 1%
4 - 1K 1/2W Metal Film 1%
2 - 1.5K 1W Metal Film 1%
2 - 47K 3W Metal Film 1%
2 - 560R 10W Wirewound 1%
1 - 10R 5W Wirewound 5%
2 - 1M 1/4W Metal Film 1%

Capacitors
1 - 30uF Oil Filled Metallized Polypropylene
2 - 50uF Oil Filled Metallized Polypropylene
2 - 10uF 630V Audio Aluminum MP Film
2 - 0.22uF 630V Audio Aluminum MP Film
2 - Elna Silmic II 100uF 25V
2 - Elna Silmic II 220uF 100V
1 - 0.1uF 400V Orange MP
2 - 0.1 uF 630V MP

Connectors, Hardware, etc.
1 - IEC Power Entry EMI/Fuse
2 - Neutrik RCA Socket
4 - Speaker Binding Post
1 - DPDT Toggle Switch
1 - Belton 9-Pin Socket
3 - Belton 8-Pin Socket
2 - 2 Capacitor Clamp
1 - 1.5 Capacitor Clamp
2 - Turret Board
1 - Aluminum Knob
1 - 100K Alps Volume
1 - 2A Slow Blow Fuse
2 - 5H Driver Choke
1 lot - interconnecting wire, terminals, hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
I have finalized the cost for the basic parts, less transformers and chassis. This will include a detailed layout and assembly instructions provided on CD. I am in the process of assembling the amp and will document the process throughout with photos and written instructions.

I am still in the process of hopefully obtaining the custom lay-down style transformers. It's proven to be a little difficult. In the meantime, the transformers I will be using for the initial build are:

1 - Edcor XPWR010-120/240 Power XFMR
1 - Edcor CXC125-10H-200mA Filter Choke
2 - Edcor GXSE15-6-5K 15W Output Transformer

The Edcor GXSE have a 40-18K Hz frequency response. The transformer I hope to end up with will be 20-20K Hz frequency response. It will be interesting to see how the GXSE units perform compared to the 20-20K Hz units I have in my current build. I have read good reviews from people that are using them. Edcor does offer the CXSE25-8-5K, for a little more than double the cost of the GXSE, with a 20-20K Hz frequency response. My thought is that if the GXSE units perform well, it may provide a low-cost alternative. I have looked into possibly providing an aluminum adapter plate that would allow the GXSE unit to be used on my chassis design.

I made a couple of parts changes from my initial post. I have decided to include a volume control, and I have changed the Caddock 560 ohm 10W resistor to a Vishay 560 ohm 10W wirewound resistor to keep the cost under control. Again, when this build is complete I will compare to the unit I have now using the Caddock device. I suspect since the resistor is bypassed, it will make no audible difference.

I have completed the preliminary chassis design and will have to wait until the transformer issue is resolved before I can finalize. I have attached a sample of the layout. The sample does not include most of the dimensions and details that will be included in the kit.

In the next few days I will be photographing the parts kit and I will post it here. Since we are talking about money now, I will eventually have to move this thread to the Vendor Forums section.

The cost for all parts and assembly manual, less transformers, tubes, and chassis will be: $319.00

To include (2) Electro-Harmonix KT-88, (1) Electro-Harmonix 5U4-GB, & (1) Soviet 6N1P-EV add $90 for a total: $409.00

FYI: This amp will run the EL34 tubes and they are about half the cost, but to my ear the KT88 has much more punch, deeper bass, and better overall clarity.

FYI#2: The Edcor transformers I have listed above are about $200.00 + shipping directly from Edcor.
Old 12th November 2010, 04:43 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Nice! I am still interested although I would prefer the input jacks to be on the rear of the chassis. Also, I would prefer no volume control.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:41 AM   #53
parb is offline parb  United States
diyAudio Member

it looks interesting. im also of the school that inputs and outputs belong on the rear. looking forward to the pics so i can determine if im keen on a chassis included or not.... but im definately still interested.
Old 12th November 2010, 05:33 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

I would also be interested in this kit (complete)
b
Old 12th November 2010, 09:53 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I am also interested. Looking for another project
Old 13th November 2010, 01:07 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

The inputs will be relocated to the real panel. The volume control and power switch will be relocated to the front panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parb View Post
it looks interesting. im also of the school that inputs and outputs belong on the rear. looking forward to the pics so i can determine if im keen on a chassis included or not.... but im definately still interested.
Old 13th November 2010, 03:53 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
The inputs will be relocated to the real panel. The volume control and power switch will be relocated to the front panel.
Great news! I can definitely live with that. Thanks for putting this kit together. It should make for a nice winter project.
Old 13th November 2010, 12:53 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

i am intresting about it to and i am waiting
Old 13th November 2010, 12:55 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

thank you
Old 19th November 2010, 08:57 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Here is a photo of the basic parts to be included in the kit. The photo also shows the tubes that will be included if that option is selected.

The chassis has been finalized and the design has been accepted by the manufacturer. There is a lead-time of 6 weeks for the chassis.

Still awaiting production times for the custom transformers. At this point it looks like the initial build for this will still be with the standard Edcor transformers. I will custom cut a chassis so I can get the manual completed as soon as possible, in order to start offering the basic kit.

Thanks for your patience and support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000288.JPG (231.1 KB, 1275 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!