KT88 SE Complete Kit - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 11:05 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Sure, but I am asking about voltage developed across the 10 ohm resistor. Will it survive to blow the fuse? If it doesn't matter, why is it there?

I mean, why don't just skipping that resistor?
The RC ground breaker from signal ground to the chassis is for ground loop noise reduction. The voltage across the resistor is in the millivolt range. The capacitor in parallel is for RF rejection. I don't know what you mean by "survive to blow the fuse". Will "what" survive to blow the fuse? The chassis is at earth ground. You can leave the filter out if you wish and connect the signal ground directly to the chassis.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:00 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

I mean that if it is possible to DON'T put the resistor and just put the capacitor for RF filtering
Old 1st March 2012, 11:19 AM   #223
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Sell a kit and you'll get annoying questions. Such is life.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:33 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Sell a kit and you'll get annoying questions. Such is life.
Just in the event you don't get a shock in a not properly failure proof designed system, yes, life will continue. In such a way

I am not saying this grounding scheme is not safe, just that I am too curious some times
Old 1st March 2012, 01:42 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I mean that if it is possible to DON'T put the resistor and just put the capacitor for RF filtering
You can't leave the resistor out just like that - your signal ground would be ill-defined. You would have to replace it by a piece of wire (the cap would be useless then) to ensure that ground reference for your audio path is defined.
From a safety point of view this is quite irrelevant. Important is the safe and sound connection of the earth wire of the 3-wire power cord to the chassis.
Any failure causing a meaningful charge/voltage on the chassis will blow the fuse - and that's what you want.

In practical terms, signal ground and safety ground are on almost the same potential. The resistor lifts signal ground a few mV above earth ground level helping to break ground loops (as scitizen17 stated earlier).

Cheers,
Martin
Old 1st March 2012, 02:49 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayermar View Post
You can't leave the resistor out just like that - your signal ground would be ill-defined.....................to ensure that ground reference for your audio path is defined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayermar View Post
In practical terms, signal ground and safety ground are on almost the same potential. The resistor lifts signal ground a few mV above earth ground level helping to break ground loops (as scitizen17 stated earlier).
Why would I NEED to reference PS ground to Protective earth? My audio signals can be referenced to power supply ground and completely isolated from protective earth, and will sound good. Even using an input audio transformer, it will provide galvanic ground isolation, so the amp will be totally floating.

Sooooooo..... if there's no real need to tie PE (Protective Earth) and PS-GND (Ground side of PSU capacitors) regarding audio performance, then the need should came from safety issues.

Pardon me if I get boring with this matter
Old 6th March 2012, 10:07 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

I would recommend reading that article, is the solution I've always implemented and I am going that route with this amp too. Don't really like the idea of NOT providing a direct path for current from the 0 volts rail to Protective Earth.

Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
Old 6th March 2012, 10:59 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would recommend reading that article, is the solution I've always implemented and I am going that route with this amp too. Don't really like the idea of NOT providing a direct path for current from the 0 volts rail to Protective Earth.

Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
If that's the solution you've always used, why all the questions? No one here ever suggested to NOT provide a direct path for current from the 0 volts rail to Protective Earth.

The grounding scheme for the kit has always included a direct current path from circuit ground to chassis ground.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in the kit.
Old 10th April 2012, 01:09 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
If that's the solution you've always used, why all the questions? No one here ever suggested to NOT provide a direct path for current from the 0 volts rail to Protective Earth.

The grounding scheme for the kit has always included a direct current path from circuit ground to chassis ground.
I can't agree with that, there's no direct path, there is a 10 ohm resistor.

Hide this!Advertise here!