• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any high-end 6BM8 push pull tube amp schematic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a Pioneer SX-34 with a defect FM tuner section, since I did not find the problem of the FM tuner section, I would use the transfos and output tube to made a good tube amp...

As it is the SX-34 amp sound good but maby I can find a better schematic than the SX-34 amp section.

Any better push pull tube amp schematic than the SX-34 amp ?

I dont think it would need a 12AX7 input tube since cd player give arround 1 volt output and this voltage can drive the driver section of the 6BM8 tubes.

Here's a link to the schematic of the Pioneer SX-34;

AK Database PDF Gallery - Pioneer Receivers/Pioneer SX34 Schematic

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
The ECL82(7W Pa, comparably low S) does unfortunately not remind anything about EL84. If we instead check the ECL86 this one is a derated EL84 from 12W to 9W Pa. The triode is 1/2 ECC83. Rewiring the Pioneer?

Why unfortunately? Sonically speaking it can give at least the same results. Actually, I think it is easier to get better results with ECL/PCL82's...
It has a lower gm but still better than other tubes like 6v6, 6l6 etc...and the sensitivity is still very good.
It has got a pretty lower plate resistance (12K to 20K in penthode mode and 1K2 to 1K6 in triode mode, depending on the operative conditions).
Finally the triode section is much better than the ECL86's one and better than most ECC83's. It's simply more linear. I would compare it to 1/2 5751 or 6SL7 in terms of average specs.

You get 4-5W from a triode connected PP and 8-10W in penthode connection.
In SE you get 1.5W at 5% THD (triode connected) with only 5.5W plate dissipation.
The output section is more efficient than those of EL84 and ECL86 and, once again, it sound's nice!

I also vote to keep the design as is. I think it's it point to point wiring which is easy to rebuild upgrade caps etc. That amp design is and was used in many high end designs out there so just check resistors and replace caps etc. Also check, clean, and maybe replace tube sockets, connectors, pots, etc. Will be worth something in the end if restored and kept together. Maybe you can figure out the Tuner problem down the road. Plus it should sound really nice fixed up!

Randy

Last edited:
Hello

I think the amp of the Pioneer SX-34 look a bit like a Mullard PP amp schematic that I've seen somewhere.

Yes I can bypass the 12AX7 tube, it will made the amp less noisy.

I have recap a part of it but since it seem to worth it I will recap all the power supply and amp section.

In another thread few guy try to help me to find out why the FM tuner are not working, the local oscillator tube are ok but the local oscillator are not working, so I will not try anymore to fix the FM tuner.

The amp by itself do have a nice sound and good soundstage, I did put new Sylvania 6BM8 tubes sometimes ago.

Btw, does it would sound better if I take out the negative feedback resistor and cap, so the amp would be without negative feedback ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Hello

I've recap my SX-34, replaced some cracked mylar cap in the amp section, and put a zobel network at the output transformer secondary.

Now bypassing the preamp and tuners sections, the sound now are much better, wide soundstage and lot of air arround the musical instruments, nice definition, nice decay of the music, this amp sound excellent.

The Sylvania 6BM8 power tubes are quite good indeed.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Hello

I have a Pioneer SX-34 with a defect FM tuner section, since I did not find the problem of the FM tuner section, I would use the transfos and output tube to made a good tube amp...

As it is the SX-34 amp sound good but maby I can find a better schematic than the SX-34 amp section.

Any better push pull tube amp schematic than the SX-34 amp ?

I dont think it would need a 12AX7 input tube since cd player give arround 1 volt output and this voltage can drive the driver section of the 6BM8 tubes.

Here's a link to the schematic of the Pioneer SX-34;

AK Database PDF Gallery - Pioneer Receivers/Pioneer SX34 Schematic

Bye

Gaetan

These designs can be found somewhere on this forum. They both work/sound good. Headphoneamp is from Shoog

Attachments

• ecl82_lnd150.jpg
    ecl82_lnd150.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 672
  • ecl82_shoog.jpg
    ecl82_shoog.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Hi Gaetan, why did you think this was necessary and what values did you end up using

Hi Jaap, interesting 1st circuit, any more info

Brgds Bill

Hello

If somebody borrow my amp and try it without connecting loudspeakers.

If this amp work without a load, and if there is some oscillations or rf noises at the input, the voltage of the output tubes can goes quite high and burn the output transformer primary winding.

I've use 10 ohm with 100 nf.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.