• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 6V6G that won't get me divorced..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening all,

I was look at purchasing a quad of 6V6Gs for my amp in my listening room. I love the coke bottle shape and was wondering what is a reasonable quality and price tube.

I was looking at the Marconi 6V6G from Tubemonger.com (50-65ea). They claim that the bases are a bit loose on some, but I can take care of that. Even if they are a bit loose, the tube pins come directly out of the glass, so a bit of wiggle shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to get a solid sounding tube without having to buy multiple sets of tubes. Right now I have JJ 6V6GT tubes and I figure an upfront inversment would save a lot of frustration and wasted money with questionable tubes. Also the wife will kill me if i keep buyingsets of tubes that i dont use.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Cheers
Brian

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I would completely trust the advice of Jim McShane. I believe you would end up with unbeatable bang for the buck.

Jim McShane's Web Site

(not affiliated in any way, other than being a satisfied customer)

PS: Love your avatar. I've learned to just buy the damn parts and face the music when the Visa bill arrives. Same lecture, but you get the parts.

..Todd

Last edited:
Brian,

Can your amp handle 6L6? If so, new production Tung-Sol 6L6G have the same glass shape and sell for $50 per pair. TubeDepot stocks them.

What is involved with converting to a 6L6? B+ can be adjusted up to about 400v and the output trannys are hammond 1608a, 10w, 8k ohm.

other than that i can change pretty much anything since i built all the boards.

TAJ - I do the same thing, but i saw the avatar and had to have it....:rolleyes:

Thanks
Brian

hey-Hey!!!,
Try type 6EZ5. Looks like a 6V6, has almost the heater current of a 6L6 and plate characteristics about 2/3 of the 6L6. Radio Electric Supply has them for $1 each. If your wife troubles you for that sort of expenditure you may wish to re-consider keeping company with her...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Try type 6EZ5. Looks like a 6V6, has almost the heater current of a 6L6 and plate characteristics about 2/3 of the 6L6.

I got a bunch of these when they were cheap. The thread starter wanted a tube in the "G" (coke bottle) shape. The 6EZ5 is a straight sided bottle. The 6EZ5 works in some 6V6 amps but will draw more plate current unless rebiased. They sound quite good in a Simple SE.

I would completely trust the advice of Jim McShane. I believe you would end up with unbeatable bang for the buck.

Jim McShane's Web Site

(not affiliated in any way, other than being a satisfied customer)

PS: Love your avatar. I've learned to just buy the damn parts and face the music when the Visa bill arrives. Same lecture, but you get the parts.

..Todd

"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission." :D

Yep, I've begged for forgiveness more frequently than I'd like to admit. My usual spiel is usually something like, "Honest... I ran out of caps... I- I had a flat line on my 'scope... I didn't have enough money at Radio Shaft... My back order didn't come back from Mouser... An old resistor changed value... Someone stole my DVM... There was an earthquake... A terrible flood... LOCUSTS!!!! IT WASN'T MY FAULT - I SWEAR!!!!" :D

Yep, I've begged for forgiveness more frequently than I'd like to admit. My usual spiel is usually something like, "Honest... I ran out of caps... I- I had a flat line on my 'scope... I didn't have enough money at Radio Shaft... My back order didn't come back from Mouser... An old resistor changed value... Someone stole my DVM... There was an earthquake... A terrible flood... LOCUSTS!!!! IT WASN'T MY FAULT - I SWEAR!!!!" :D

I like the 7 plagues angle. I might just try that.

I just use the excuse, that if the heat ever goes out:snowman2:, we have a stock of space heaters and tunes to help pass the time....

What is involved with converting to a 6L6? B+ can be adjusted up to about 400v and the output trannys are hammond 1608a, 10w, 8k ohm.

other than that i can change pretty much anything since i built all the boards.

The 6L6 takes more heater current. You need to see if your power transformer will handle the load. Other than that, you need to account for the fact that it will need a bit different bias voltage, but you can run them pretty much like your 6V6 and get about the same power out. I imagine that they saturate at about the same voltage. I am assuming you are running them as pentodes?

What conditions are you running at? If we know, we can give better advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.