• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How will this affect my amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the planning and parts ordering stage of my first amp, it's based on a GEC 912 amplifier. Here are the schematics:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The transformer that I have is rated at 375 volts, but according to the duncan power supply designer software, after the the rectifier it will only supply 289 volts. The schematic shows the high voltage line at 350 volts. How would the reduced voltage affect the amplifier, and is there something I can do to compensate for it?

The valve rectifier will have a significant voltage drop, and C11 (the reservoir cap) is quite small at 8uF so there will be a big ripple voltage at this point, which will depress the average value. Better to design a modern power supply which will supply the amp's needs. We have access to bigger capacitors than they had in the 1950s.

What do you mean by this? I've never designed a power supply before, so I could use some direction.

I'm only building a mono amp.

Ah, looks like you're building a guitar amp. It would help to point that out, most people assume hifi unless otherwise told.

A 5Y3 and small caps are probably what you want; they'll get you a vintage sound with plenty of sag.

First thing: did you model the whole PS in PSUDII? You should be modeling the transformer, 5Y3, 8 uF, choke, 16 uF, rough 100 mA load, 10K, 8 uF, rough 5 mA load. Then check voltages and ripples at the current taps to see what those look like.

Ah, looks like you're building a guitar amp. It would help to point that out, most people assume hifi unless otherwise told.

A 5Y3 and small caps are probably what you want; they'll get you a vintage sound with plenty of sag.

First thing: did you model the whole PS in PSUDII? You should be modeling the transformer, 5Y3, 8 uF, choke, 16 uF, rough 100 mA load, 10K, 8 uF, rough 5 mA load. Then check voltages and ripples at the current taps to see what those look like.

No, the intended use is as a hifi amp, but I only want to build a monoblock amp and then build a second one later.

No, the intended use is as a hifi amp, but I only want to build a monoblock amp and then build a second one later.

Oh wow, that's a pretty mediocre design, how set are you to build that model? It's got noticeable weaknesses: high NFB to burn off unneeded gain, 12AX7 makes a bad concertina, high PS ripple from small caps. If you want a PP EL84 there are much better choices: Bevois Valley, Red Light District, Baby Huey, Tubelab Simple PP, etc.

Oh wow, that's a pretty mediocre design, how set are you to build that model? It's got noticeable weaknesses: high NFB to burn off unneeded gain, 12AX7 makes a bad concertina, high PS ripple from small caps. If you want a PP EL84 there are much better choices: Bevois Valley, Red Light District, Baby Huey, Tubelab Simple PP, etc.

I'm not that set on it I guess, I actually picked it because the tubes it uses happen to be the ones that I was able to get for free.

As a rule of thumb the output voltage of a transformer will drop by about 10% when put to work.

For example if you measure your heater voltage without the valves in you might see 7v

Once you put the valves in the heaters light up and are doing work.

If you measure the heater voltage again the voltage should drop down to 6.3v

HTH Bill

OK, I had a look at the baby huey amplifier design, and I do like it better than the one I was originally talking about. Im changing directions and Im going to follow the baby huey schematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.