• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

yagoolar's tube amp projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Progress photo

aguhape5.jpg

Does anyone take comparision on the sound of C3g between triode connection and penthode strap ?

my friend just finished his C3g-6B4G SE ampli. He said to me that C3g in triode with G3 connect to anode get better sound than G3 connect to kathode, sound become sweeter and more dynamic. He asked me why, but I cannot explain it. Has anyone got this experience ?

:)

1 Tube C3G Siemens Post Rohre | eBay

You can consider 4P1L with the same socket to C3g. This tube has low gain, so you need more 1 stage at input.

I bought mine for $3.00 a piece. They were used yet matched. After I had looked through ebay.com I decided not spend this much money on C3g. I have EF861 by hand (E180F equiv), which is also a good tube for the project. Less aesthetically pleasing, but E180F or 6Ж9 are easily available in Poland, prices starting from $1.50.
3-stage amp is a different project. 4п1л has too low μ as triode, so I'd rather keep it for output or driver tube in future projects.

I miss something and sorry for not reinventing the wheel - I used EF861 instead of C3g. Specs read Ug1=+9V, while there are schematics of preamps with this tube as an voltage amp + driver biased with cathode resistor. And Ug1 is set to -2.5V In respect to cathode. Is the latter correct?

Fired the amp with E180F BJT CCS and 6C4C

Still things to be corrected, yet fine results right from the start.

There is no resistor in the cathode - I used yellow LED which gives 1.9V, so needed additional voltage drop due to lack of proper model.
MPSA92 is replaced with F241.

Attachments

• 20130120 Schematic.png
    20130120 Schematic.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 2,205
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.