diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Holy cow! Can anyone tell me why this wire is so pricey? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/175311-holy-cow-can-anyone-tell-me-why-wire-so-pricey.html)

bst 13th October 2010 07:28 PM

Holy cow! Can anyone tell me why this wire is so pricey?

I just returned from the local industrial surplus store, having purchased a roll of Alpha type 286 14-ga. wire. Both I and the counter clerk assumed it was a roll of safety wire for securing threaded fasteners.

It turns out that it's tin-plated, soft-drawn copper buss-bar wire; not lockwire.

I paid $26 plus tax for a 1000' roll. The price at suppliers like Newark and DigiKey is -- hold onto your hat -- over $875 per roll!

What makes this wire so expensive, and have I stumbled onto the perfect hook-up wire for my tube amp projects?

bst 13th October 2010 07:47 PM

A little more web surfing reveals that Allied carries it, too -- at well over a thousand dollars per 1000' roll! Maybe I should sell this stuff and buy some of that 'cheap' solid-silver wire...

badman 13th October 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bst (Post 2331617)
I just returned from the local industrial surplus store, having purchased a roll of Alpha type 286 14-ga. wire. Both I and the counter clerk assumed it was a roll of safety wire for securing threaded fasteners.

It turns out that it's tin-plated, soft-drawn copper buss-bar wire; not lockwire.

I paid $26 plus tax for a 1000' roll. The price at suppliers like Newark and DigiKey is -- hold onto your hat -- over $875 per roll!

What makes this wire so expensive, and have I stumbled onto the perfect hook-up wire for my tube amp projects?

You dramatically underpaid, is part of it. Copper is pricey nowadays. The newark/digikey price is quite high though.

Eli Duttman 13th October 2010 08:02 PM

Bst,

You have legally STOLEN all the top quality ground bus bar you will need for the rest of your life. :D At 14 AWG it's too thick for "routine" signal work.

Hell yes, sell some of it at a profit. Don't get greedy. ;)

Jeff (badman) made the important point. There's been a big run up in the cost of raw materials, over the last few years. Copper and Tin command mucho dinero.

SGregory 13th October 2010 08:47 PM

Copper scrap is over $3.00 per lb for low grade scrap. OUCH!!!!

Andrewbee 13th October 2010 08:54 PM

Thats correct, Copper has certainly gone up in the last few years.
What probably has happened is that the company you bought it from has had it in stock for a few years and purchased it way before the price went to the current levels.
Or maybe it's an error :-)

Hard to believe but true.

Apple stock was below US$15.00 in September of 2001. It was at US$300.53 this morning!

Tom Bavis 13th October 2010 09:01 PM

At 80 feet of 14 gauge per pound, you have 125 pounds of copper there. Worth about $375 as scrap copper...

kevinahcc20 13th October 2010 09:10 PM

That's 12.5 lbs;)

bst 13th October 2010 09:18 PM

Tom, I think you've misplaced a decimal point. The spool is about 10" in diameter, and I can pick it up with one hand. I'd guesstimate it's about 12 1/2 pounds, rather than 125.

Tom Bavis 13th October 2010 09:49 PM

Ah, yes... too late to fix my arithmetic! Still less than scrap value!