Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2010, 04:50 AM   #11
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

A dollar a foot still sounds remarkably expensive for plain old wire. Are all the wire prices equally swollen?

$875 for 12.5 pounds sounds like $70 a pound to me. I mean solder is "only" $25 a pound.

I imagine all over, but in this area, homes are being broken into and copper plumbing stolen. The house next door is not currently rented, and we found the back door open and all the copper plumbing removed recently. This was the second time. The landlord replaced it all with PVC. They recently arrested a gang of copper thieves. Hopefully PVC won;t go on the scrap market.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:00 PM   #12
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thieves have been stealing heat pumps and freon line around here for scrap copper. They were stealing catalytic converters off automobiles (even church vans) last year.

Baseball bat to the knees, I say.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Aim about 17 inches above the knees and swing the bat in an upward vertical arc for best effect!
Old 14th October 2010, 11:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I bought and sold Freeport McMoran (big Cu miner/producer) a couple times in the past two years. I still own some shares of Southern Copper (ticker symbol = SCCO). It still pays a pretty good dividend, which is high compared to the price I payed for the shares. To celebrate, I bought some oxygen free copper speaker cables.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
A dollar a foot still sounds remarkably expensive for plain old wire. Are all the wire prices equally swollen?

$875 for 12.5 pounds sounds like $70 a pound to me. I mean solder is "only" $25 a pound.

I imagine all over, but in this area, homes are being broken into and copper plumbing stolen. The house next door is not currently rented, and we found the back door open and all the copper plumbing removed recently. This was the second time. The landlord replaced it all with PVC. They recently arrested a gang of copper thieves. Hopefully PVC won;t go on the scrap market.
I thought they make a lot of copper plated pipes and use those now.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The copper ETF here
BigCharts - QuickCharts
keeps going up. I keep hearing on CNBC, such as Larry Kudlow's show that commodities are going up because of the falling dollar. The Fed might be encouraging this to some extent to juice stocks and other investments.

Hide this!Advertise here!