• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OTL designed by Tim Mellow with 4 6C33C?

I am glad you brought this thread back up Rudolf. I now have time to work on my projects and I am making two chassis for this amp. One for the power supply and one for the signal side.

I have the room and like the looks of aluminum oil can caps. Does anyone know if the 6800uf caps can be found in oil cans??? I just like the looks of those sticking up out of the chassis.

Hi,
I also would like to begin to build this beautiful project of Tim ... maybe updated with 4 tubes per channel.

I was doing some calculations on the fly, and I think, just like that, the power transformers are slightly undersized. I have pretty much a given (if i am not wrong) that the power supply is common to both channels. Especially in the section of the heaters of 6C33C.

What do you think about that?

Thank you,
Michele

Has any body tried Tims design with Magnepan speakers=4ohm? Im really tempted to try out the design, but my main speakers are the Maggies. (only ones the gold wife will have in the livingroom)

How about these speakers, would that be somethig your wife could accept?:D
Koldby

Attachments

• IMG_0663 (360x640).jpg
    IMG_0663 (360x640).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0655 (640x360).jpg
    IMG_0655 (640x360).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 585
Hi,
I have built 2 amps using the Tim mellow design. One using 6C33c's and the other 6C41's, both written up on this site. Both have woked excellently for the past 3 years with no problems - until now! I,m writing this as my experience may be of some use to others should their Amp. have similar problems in the future. The symptom was that one of the 6C41's would overheat - glowing red, obviously drawing too much current - this had the effect of severely loading the positive 150v rail, reducing it to around 45v. The negative rail rose to around 255v. First thoughts were that the glowing valve was the cause of the fault, but it proved not to be. The problem with fault finding on this design is that because it uses direct coupling between stages, normal methods are difficult to use due to only having a short time to measure votages before damage occurs (or fuses blow!) Isolating a suspected stage is therefore difficult. After carefully 'cold' checking all likely (high value resistances) and finding nothing wrong, the EF86 driver's were changed - this, thankfully, cured the problem. Sometimes a substitution pay's off!

Regards,

David.

Hi,
I have built 2 amps using the Tim mellow design. One using 6C33c's and the other 6C41's, both written up on this site. Both have woked excellently for the past 3 years with no problems - until now! I,m writing this as my experience may be of some use to others should their Amp. have similar problems in the future. The symptom was that one of the 6C41's would overheat - glowing red, obviously drawing too much current - this had the effect of severely loading the positive 150v rail, reducing it to around 45v. The negative rail rose to around 255v. First thoughts were that the glowing valve was the cause of the fault, but it proved not to be. The problem with fault finding on this design is that because it uses direct coupling between stages, normal methods are difficult to use due to only having a short time to measure votages before damage occurs (or fuses blow!) Isolating a suspected stage is therefore difficult. After carefully 'cold' checking all likely (high value resistances) and finding nothing wrong, the EF86 driver's were changed - this, thankfully, cured the problem. Sometimes a substitution pay's off!

Regards,

David.

It is indeed a weak point in the otherwise excellent design, I think, that if ever something goes wrong with one of the EF86 drivers, causing it to lose conduction, then the 100K resistor from grid to anode on the corresponding 6C33C output tube will drive it into heavy conduction. I couldn't see any way to build in a safeguard against this, without radically changing the entire circuit, so I've just made myself stop worrying about it...until now.

Chris

Hi Chris, As I see it, the only downside to an exceptionally well thought out (and very noval design!) I still never leave the room without switching off though!

ATB,

David.
(and to Flanagan, the close tolerance of the 4.7M resistors is critical, get the best possible for added long term stability)

hello i have a problem with the power supply stage Tim mellow, the resistance r33 warms me to die ... I do a project that was given to me and 100ohm 10w ..... while the original project is 10watt 1k .. creddete ..... it is appropriate to replace the 100ohm? ... let me know thanks ..

Hi, probably a am a little late on that chat, but I have just started a new project OTL-ESL 63, taking in account Tim's otl design as it is and my ESL'63. My intention is to swich the primary trafo of the 63 from 8 ohms(16+16 paralel is original) to 32 ohns, puting the two coils in series. More than that, as there is room on the input trafo I think to duplicate the primary and all together to go to 64 ohms. Am I crazy? (now I am gatherin the components, including 4 trafo from an desasenbled esl 63 to be modified. what do you think about?

Hi,
thanks for the advice, for shure I' ll try the easyest way first (916+16=32 ohms)
Do you think I shall make any adjustments to bias or else passing from 8 to 32 ohms ?
By the way there are no news about "desperateaudio" or the ather guy regarding their OTL project, any impresions, anything at all? Are they still listening this one or abandoned...?

Goddlediddles, your post prompted me to go to the first page. I was the forth poster in this thread and have had most of the parts for this amp since then and never built the amp. That makes me the great procrastinator on DIY Audio!!!

Last edited:
It's now 5 and a half years since this thread on the Tim Mellow OTL was started. I am about to start building one. Can I ask some folks to give me their final thoughts on this amp? Many thanks for all the info so far. All 30 pages of posts were very helpful.

I went back and found I was the eleventh to post, and it brought home to me that I built mine more than 5 years ago; I had been thinking it was "just a couple of years ago." Tempus fugit...

Anyway, I have been using mine on an almost daily basis since I built it, and it has given me essentially no trouble in all that time. I am very satisfied with its performance in all respects.

Chris