OTL designed by Tim Mellow with 4 6C33C? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2010, 08:57 PM   #91
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris, Do you have a part number for the bridge rectifier you used?

Brad
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:42 PM   #92
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir38 View Post
Chris, Do you have a part number for the bridge rectifier you used?

Brad
Hi Brad,

I didn't use anything very sophisticated; a 1000V, 35A bridge rectifier, type GBPC3510, by Diodes Inc. Available from Mouser.

Chris
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:44 PM   #93
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the Stealth Hexfreds are 1200V 15A or so.

That is what I am going to get I think. This is all good to know. I talked to the friend who has the machine shop and he can't make me chassis until mid Dec. so I have some time to collect parts.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:49 PM   #94
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris, nothing special but it is all that is needed . Working on a BOM, so far almost all the parts will be coming from Mouser.

Brad
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:52 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir38 View Post
Thanks Chris, nothing special but it is all that is needed . Working on a BOM, so far almost all the parts will be coming from Mouser.

Brad
the one i have playing is using all fast diodes and the bridge is a 1200v 17A fast diode bridge from ixys out of digikey. i use these as replacements on my futterman's/nyal's. part number vbe17-12no7-nd.

well i have the 6c33 amp playing side by side with one of my nyal otl3's and she is opening up and sounding nicer every day. Sound nice and clean with a rich tone. I'll give her a few more weeks and see where she ends up.

Enjoy
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:53 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Hi Des, are you hearing any preference with the TM OTL? Like is it better at highs, mid, bass? that kind of thing?

What does "fast" mean when you are talkiing about diodes?
Old 4th November 2010, 12:31 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Hi Des, are you hearing any preference with the TM OTL? Like is it better at highs, mid, bass? that kind of thing?

What does "fast" mean when you are talkiing about diodes?
On the amp i think in general it pretty even so far across the baord. Its controls Quad 63's very well even in the bass area where Quads have a specific sound.

Fast on diodes means recovery time
Old 4th November 2010, 02:33 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Thanks D. I normally tri amp because I like the flexability to match amps with drivers. But things are changing around here and I might need to drive a passive speakers with it.

Edit: I just looked up the Quad as I'd never heard of them and see that they are ESL speakers. Don't ESLs need a gob of power? That is what I've always heard at least.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:19 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Thanks D. I normally tri amp because I like the flexability to match amps with drivers. But things are changing around here and I might need to drive a passive speakers with it.

Edit: I just looked up the Quad as I'd never heard of them and see that they are ESL speakers. Don't ESLs need a gob of power? That is what I've always heard at least.
The discussion on Quads could easily be another thread.

I have had success with many diferent power schemes on 57's and 63's. I think it really depends on the amp. If you read back on Tim article loads above 16 ohms realiy help in pulling more power out of the amp. I think I remember hearing 40 or 50 watts and Quads very often will range in those areas under active load.
Old 4th November 2010, 08:46 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

The only reason I ask is that a friend of mine offered me a pair of Sound Lab ESL panels without the power box. I have the scheem for those, but thought that even with my Mellow OTL, (which will be my highest powered amp), it would not be enough wpc.

Hide this!Advertise here!