Peavey Valveking 100- static sound during warm-up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey Valveking 100- static sound during warm-up

I checked all of my speaker wiring,and no problems. For some reason, when I fire up the amplifier, as it warms up I hear static like there is a loose wire connection and someone is wiggling it around. When the amp is warmed up, it doesnt make any of those sounds. Does anyone know what components that I should check first?
Old 9th October 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Gilgy is offline Gilgy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are you letting the tubes heat up? Sounds like you're switching it "full on" from cold when you get the static sound. Turn it on standby first, leave it one minute for the tubes to heat up, then take it off standby.
Old 9th October 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Is the sound coming from the speaker or the amp itself? If the latter, then it is probably just the valves warming up. Nothing to worry about. Don't worry about the 'standby' switch - it's probably only there because musicians expect to see it.
Old 9th October 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Gilgy, this happens when I do not allow for the amp to warm up, I am not playing the guitar, but the standby switch is on. Thanks for the pointer. DF96, the sound is coming from the speaker. The amp just makes a sound like a valve is turning on.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10th October 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I suspect a valve is on it's way out and may be oscillating in the warm up phase. Try tapping them in turn and noticing any changes. Replacement is the only cure.

richy
Old 10th October 2010, 01:52 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Could be a valve with a dodgy weld, or resistor/capacitor failing. It will probably get worse before it fails altogether. As well as tapping the valves you could try gently tapping other components (with an insulator, of course!). You might at least narrow it down to a particular stage.
Old 10th October 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Right. Well I guess Ill try tapping the tubes first, and then if I dont hear any strange noises, Ill take the chassis out of the cabinet and give it an inspection.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So guys, I tapped all of the tube and none of them are microphonic. I was jamming today at 3 or 4 and the gain started fading out. I kicked it over to clean channel, and the volume was significantly lower than it was when I started playing. This was in a period of about 10 minutes. Does anyone have any that would lead me to pre or power amp tubes? Id like to narrow it down to tubes before I drop 1XX dollars into tubes.

Last edited by Rotus623; 12th October 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So check these out guys, upon further inspection this is what I saw. Is this what it looks like when the vacuum seal has a leak?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th November 2010, 06:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Okay, well I changed all of the tubes out and now I still have a static noise during the warm up phase. Except now it takes a lot longer to go away. Any suggestions why the amp is making a static noise when the volume is turned all the way down? When it is in standby mode it is totally quiet.

Hide this!Advertise here!