diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   I found a valve amp in my garage... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/174983-i-found-valve-amp-my-garage.html)

savcom 7th October 2010 10:23 PM

I found a valve amp in my garage...

2 Attachment(s)
No joke. Been tidying up the garage as we hope to be moving house soon and came across a Spectone version of the venerable Mullard 5-10. I've not powered it up and have no diagram or plugs/sockets but here are two photos of the beast.

Attachment 191016

and a close up of the label
Attachment 191017

Now the question is: What to do? The WAF for this in the house would be near zero (tbh it's not very pretty) and I have not got time to re-house or check it over, so it's likely destination would be the local recycling facility. Unless someone on the forum wants it and is willing to come collect it (I live south of London UK).

I do not want anything for it. If there are no takers it will get recycled properly.

So there you are. If I've transgressed any Forum rules in posting this then I apologise in advance.

Cheers,

Martin

Ernie Milko 7th October 2010 10:49 PM

If you don't get any takers here, then offer it on UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin where I guarantee someone will want it and give it a good home.
Whatever you do, please don't take it to the tip.

Bone 7th October 2010 11:27 PM

This looks like an original Mullard 5-10 design. If you dont want it stick it on ebay its worth a few hundred dollars!

The Space Egg Corp 7th October 2010 11:39 PM

I Savcom - a fellow south Londoner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by savcom (Post 2325753)
No joke. Been tidying up the garage as we hope to be moving house soon and came across a Spectone version of the venerable Mullard 5-10. I've not powered it up and have no diagram or plugs/sockets but here are two photos of the beast.

Attachment 191016

and a close up of the label
Attachment 191017

Now the question is: What to do? The WAF for this in the house would be near zero (tbh it's not very pretty) and I have not got time to re-house or check it over, so it's likely destination would be the local recycling facility. Unless someone on the forum wants it and is willing to come collect it (I live south of London UK).

I do not want anything for it. If there are no takers it will get recycled properly.

So there you are. If I've transgressed any Forum rules in posting this then I apologise in advance.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin

I found 2 Heathkits in my garage as well.
Check out the thread 'The Heathkit MA-12 a Mullard 5-10 in disguise' in the tube section at diyAudio.
If you don't want it, I am getting quite fond of my rusty 5-10's which I'm doing up as I'm tired of my SS amp.
Love to take it of your hands if you don't want it.

Cheers...Simon...:p

JohanB 7th October 2010 11:40 PM

Hi,

Nice peace!! Yes , try to sell on e-bay.

Whatever you do, DO NOT plug it in to se if it works.

Sell it as is, "unreformed", because the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply must be reformed when its been staning for so long time. Should be done separately with a variable transformer or DC supply, under close supervision of leakage currents!!

If you just plug it in, you'll risk frying these capacitors and the mains transformer and/or rectifyer tube.

JohanB

Bigun 8th October 2010 12:38 AM

don't do it man, keep it, you'll not regret it if you've never heard a tube amp before you may be pleasantly surprised. Put a cloth over it and tell the missus it's a parot, til you get time to fix it up.

Captn Dave 8th October 2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 2325855)
Put a cloth over it and tell the missus it's a parrot

Brilliant!

Mr. Zenith 8th October 2010 07:31 AM

Now why didn't I think of that? :cool:

mossmamc 8th October 2010 07:46 AM

PM sent

uvodee 8th October 2010 09:58 AM

You could of course do the right thing and get rid of the missus.......