Help!!! My Audioromy FU29 amplifier was fried! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2011, 11:41 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

He must be a newbie. I've worked with toobes since the late 60's. Little teenie ones that have to be soldered in place to toobes as tall as myself costing 100k+ USD.
Old 5th December 2011, 01:55 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Shouldn't that be "noobie"?
Old 5th December 2011, 01:59 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Shouldn't that be "noobie"?
That!
Old 5th December 2011, 02:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Depends on where you're from....
Old 16th December 2011, 02:50 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I just got my Audio Aroma FU-29 yesterday... the newer version fortunately. It had an interesting odor of what industrial China must smell like... most of that odor has since dissipated. I bought mine from Ebay seller "Tubestein" It was very well packaged and it arrived from China via UPS Express saver in just two days. In fact I was out of town assumming it would take a couple of weeks to get here and that I'd deal with it when I got back... Not the case though and not even so much as a dent in the box. The toobes were labeled as to which socket they are supposed to go into, I assmue because they biased it correctly. Got the thing hooked in and after an hours warm up all I can say is WOW! This thing blows most other 35 watt per channel toobe amps out of orbit including any of the beloved but more expensive Dynaco Stereo 70 modded amps. I've run it probably a total of about 10 hours by now and the toobes are still holding their own. When I ordered the amp I also ordered a quartet of GU-29's fomr Russia. Well... all four of those toobes are gassy and cause the amp to actually motorboat, I will see if the seller makes good and if he won't I'll leave him negative feedback. The getter on the inside of all four toobes is a bit cloudy indicating they are gassy. I also managed to score one NOS RCA JAN CRU-829B toobe and I have a couple more of those comming as I'm not expecting the FU-29's to last very long. I think one would have to spend several thousand to get an equivelent USA built amplifier that sounds near this good.

Mark
Old 16th December 2011, 03:55 AM   #26
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allen View Post
This thing blows most other 35 watt per channel toobe amps out of orbit including any of the beloved but more expensive Dynaco Stereo 70 modded amps. .......... I think one would have to spend several thousand to get an equivelent USA built amplifier that sounds near this good.

Mark
Or spend $200-$300 on a real amp made in the USA.
Magnavox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05586.JPG (147.6 KB, 303 views)
Old 16th December 2011, 07:03 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Do you have a fire extinguisher nearby?
Old 16th December 2011, 01:49 PM   #28
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Knock on wood, I hope his amp would not do that.
Old 16th December 2011, 02:37 PM   #29
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

The sockets on that amp look like those cheap ceramics that have the contact rivets almost flush with the top of the socket, right under the chassis. Do they use a mica or any kind of insulator between socket and chassis?
Old 16th December 2011, 06:30 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Been there done the Magnavox thing. Good but no where near as good as the FU-29, better than a Stereo 70 though. This amp is certainly no more dangerous than any other toobe amp is. One thing... give the amp a couple of minutes for the high voltage to drain off before removing the output tube plate caps. You could be in for a surprise there! The fuse in the FU-29 is correctly sized and it's built in an all steel chassis. Resistors may not be top notch but they are carbon film and judging from the posted pictures of other's burn't up resistors they are also flame proof. Now I certainly don't expect much life out of the Chinese 829 tubes but so far they have been fine and I'll run them till they fail at which time I'll put in a pair of JAN CRC-829B's made by RCA many moons ago. Best thing is that even brand new Cetron 829B's are under 30 USD. Probably will upgrade the power supply a bit and the two coupling caps. The toobe sockets are spaced slightly down under the chassis so no short circuits can happen. Am considering making the 829 toobe sockets one of my upgrades either to some old EF Johnson sockets or the new Chineese PTFE type sockets that also look really nice.

Hide this!Advertise here!