Take a look at my transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2010, 02:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Take a look at my transformers

Hey guys

Take a look at these transformers that I got. I got them for free from the shop where I work. The smaller one is made by Stanley, and the bigger one is made by a company called Freed. They are both 750v center tapped with 5.0 and 6.3 volt taps as well. The cases are metal and are sealed with solder. The big one weighs about eighteen pounds and the smaller one about twelve. One of the pictures has an ipod in frame to give you an idea of scale. Take a look at the pictures and let me know If you think they are going to be good power transformers. I have just started a project to build my first tube amplifier. I think I want to build a mono single ended class A amplifier. I have a feeling that I have some really nice transformers and I think I would like to optimize my amplifier to utilize the transformer to it's full ability. The tubes I have collected are two 12AX7 tubes that are matched, an EL84 tube and a 5Y3GT rectifier tube. If any of you have any suggestions of schematics I could use with these tubes, or if you know a design that would work better with additional or different tubes let me know, I would love to have some input. Also, the small transformer that has some sort of a rating on the side that is given in units of W.V. do any of you know what this means, I can't figure out what that unit is.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th October 2010, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossmamc View Post
the bigger one is made by a company called Freed.
Never heard of them. Probably junk. Send them to me for proper disposal.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

watt volts? dose the math match? im driving or i would do it.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:42 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

good for heater voltage only ?
Old 7th October 2010, 03:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking freed? sounds familiar...

isn't Freed the only company that would take on Stewart Hegeman's Citation II transformer specs? better send them to ME for proper disposal.
Harman Kardon Citation II Amplifier
Old 7th October 2010, 03:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
Never heard of them. Probably junk. Send them to me for proper disposal.
Ha HA HAA! Good one.. yeah!
Virtually all Transformers can be adapted to any design, at least, as output transformers.

Proper disposal... really

seriously I have nothing to suggest other than that you could use the twp 12AX7 tubes as differential stereo preamplifiers. That would be quite the thing with a single ended output stage. All you need is two output transformers now.
Old 7th October 2010, 04:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakellogg View Post
watt volts? dose the math match? im driving or i would do it.
They're both 750 volt with a center tap, on the high voltage tap the current is 50mA for the smaller one and 110Ma for the bigger one. They both have 5 and 6.3 volt heater taps too
Old 7th October 2010, 05:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
WV usually stands for "Working Volts/Voltage"
Old 7th October 2010, 01:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gain-wire View Post
Ha HA HAA! Good one.. yeah!
Virtually all Transformers can be adapted to any design, at least, as output transformers.
So, would it be possible to use the bigger one for the power transformer and the smaller one for the output transformer? If so, how would I wire it up as an output transformer?
Old 7th October 2010, 02:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Mill transformers

They're quite common in old test equipment and commerecial radio or receiving equipment. But use caution with transformers of that age, because they are rated for 115 volts, and not 120 volts, so they will have a slightly higher output (actually most of that designs that age were rated at 110 v, so 115 may not be far off from today.). Don't be fooled by size either, because they are big due to the potting design. I'v seen many of those paired with 5Y3 and the odd 5V4. Keep in mind that an amplifier can demand alot more from a power transformer then a receiver would. I would not gamble with 5AR4s or larger. But those transformers are worth it.

Last edited by epitaxial; 7th October 2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Reduce confusion

Hide this!Advertise here!