• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

miniblok 2 distorted sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i built this amp but the sound is distorted is it because i used the wrong PP OT?

the one i used is rated at 10watts 10k and 60H.

both amps are distorted so i assume it's something in common to them. the design calls for a OT with 28 and 42 - 1 windings i'm not sure how this applies to this OT.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• mniblok2.gif
    mniblok2.gif
    11 KB · Views: 86
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do some voltage measurements (B+, cathode voltages, grid voltages) and let us know the results. I once swapped center tap and the outer leg of the primary in an amp I was building, dc voltages measured fine, the amplifier behaved very strangely to put it mildly..

Is the -15V correct? The output section of each triode is operated with combination bias. (Both fixed and cathode bias) You did not swap the sections did you because these are dissimilar triodes. (Probably obvious, but best to know)

I don't think the transformer is the issue here, if anything the higher primary Z would result in somewhat lower power, higher damping factor and probably a little less distortion..

Do you have scope and a generator?

Some pictures of your build may help as well..

Last edited:
thanks kevin

the B+ voltge is too low and the tank caps drain but without the tubes in they hold a good charge so i guess i made a wiring error and repeated it in both builds. i would like to post a pic but no cam.

im only getting 10.5 volts where it should be 15. probably where the problem is

it's good to know the OT is alright. the amp sounds really good in essence very accurate just need to get rid of the distortion. ill go over the wiring again tomorrow. maybe i have the zener in backwards or something

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.