For hk citation II owners\experts. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
gullaz is offline gullaz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default For hk citation II owners\experts.

Hello, this is my first post on the tube forum; I am a kind of noob in electronics so i hope you'll excuse me for any inaccuracy and improper terminology. Here is my question:
I have purchased a couple quads of VTL\EI kt90 tubes and would like to try them on my HK citation II but I have no idea on how to bias them. The amp has been restored using the Mcshane power supply kit and the KT88 I am running now are biased at 85 mA each... Should I bias the KT90's at the same current
or more?
Thanks in advance for any useful and precious advice you will give me.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

While I'm very familiar with the Citation II, I'm not too familiar with the KT90s. I think they are supposed to be a stronger (higher dissipation) version of the 88s. I would keep things at 85 mA because you must remember that the Citation II uses a voltage doubler. Doublers don't like to supply lots of current and the overall voltage will fall as more current is demanded. The power transformer will also run hotter then it already does. And heat is the enemy. But I'm a conservative.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 6th October 2010, 08:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

E-mail Jim McShane he is expert in all things citation. Doing a google search will get you his web site.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowState View Post
While I'm very familiar with the Citation II, I'm not too familiar with the KT90s. I think they are supposed to be a stronger (higher dissipation) version of the 88s. I would keep things at 85 mA because you must remember that the Citation II uses a voltage doubler. Doublers don't like to supply lots of current and the overall voltage will fall as more current is demanded. The power transformer will also run hotter then it already does. And heat is the enemy. But I'm a conservative.
I will start from there (85 mA) and listen if the tubes sound allright I also think It'll be safe as far as I keep the same current as now. I'll also keep an eye (and a hand) on the power transf to check if it gets much hotter (gets already QUITE
hot bythe way, around 55 Celsius)
Old 6th October 2010, 09:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bartha View Post
E-mail Jim McShane he is expert in all things citation. Doing a google search will get you his web site.
I'll certainly do that. I have already contacted him when I purchased his PS kit...
He is very knowledgeable (if not the most) about this amp.
Old 7th October 2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Maron is offline Maron  United States
diyAudio Member

gullaz, did you ask about these at the Citation Group on Yahoo? I have a Deuce myself and love it. One of the best amp made. I am looking for another one so I can run them as dual mono blocks.

Hide this!Advertise here!