6U10, 6AC10, 6D10, 6AV11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2010, 12:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6U10, 6AC10, 6D10, 6AV11

Greetings,
As anyone used these tubes in audio service and if yes, could you share a circuit?
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:48 AM   #2
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Those tubes contain a mixture of 12AX7 / 12AU7 / 6SN7 triode sections in various different numbers. There is nothing special about them. Any circuit that uses the above triodes can be made with the tubes you listed. What do you want to use them for? Please be more specific on what you want to know.
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:39 AM   #3
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 6U10 Compactron Amp

I'm working on a 40-50 watt amp for 6-8 ohm speakers with the 6u10 and 6jm6 compactron tubes. I will build and check stability prior to releasing the design.
The limiting item appears to be output transformers. I found a set of 25watt'rs but from their physical size, I feel they will be performance challenged. I will leave enough room for a set of Hammonds or Edcors on the final amp. The 6U10 is the first gain stage and longtail pair.
The power transformer was $25 and should make 300V DC @200ma , -56V for bais and 6.3V @ 6 Amps for the heaters. It has a couple sets of 6.3 volt windings as spares. It will use input current limiters and diode bridges for power.
Tubes were under $5 each. Output transformers were $25 each.
Short the PCB, resisters sockets and caps, under $110. I have the wood for the base and .080 Alum for the mounting plate.
This amp is no way designed to compete with 6SN7 inputs and 6H6N's for second stage driving KT88's....The objective was "A small simple amp" for under $250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compactron amp-layout-1.jpg (215.4 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by roline; 3rd October 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
I'm working on a 40-50 watt amp for 6-8 ohm speakers with the 6u10 and 6jm6 compactron tubes. I will build and check stability prior to releasing the design.
The limiting item appears to be output transformers. I found a set of 25watt'rs but from their physical size, I feel they will be performance challenged. I will leave enough room for a set of Hammonds or Edcors on the final amp. The 6U10 is the first gain stage and longtail pair.
The power transformer was $25 and should make 300V DC @200ma , -56V for bais and 6.3V @ 6 Amps for the heaters. It has a couple sets of 6.3 volt windings as spares. It will use input current limiters and diode bridges for power.
Tubes were under $5 each. Output transformers were $25 each.
Short the PCB, resisters sockets and caps, under $110. I have the wood for the base and .080 Alum for the mounting plate.
This amp is no way designed to compete with 6SN7 inputs and 6H6N's for second stage driving KT88's....The objective was "A small simple amp" for under $250.
Good morning,
I would be interested in the circuit built around the 6U10. I have my P-P's set, now looking to build a decent driver.

Thanks, Ray
Old 11th February 2012, 05:07 AM   #5
rauze is offline rauze  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Soooooo . . . .

what happened? Is the circuit successful (and avilable)? How about a little bit more about the relationship between the 6av11 and 12au7 or 12at7?

Thanks.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:37 AM   #6
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Not meaning to be overly critical, but your OPTs look a wee tad small for more than 10W with reasonable lf response.

They are meant for guitar use where the -f3 is around 80-100Hz. They are only rated foe 25 W at that.

If you want anything approaching audiophile quality you will need much better opts.

I think this would be a better choice:

http://www.edcorusa.com/p/444/cxpp50-8-6_6k

On the other hand, I love the PT.

Last edited by TheGimp; 11th February 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I used the little iron 8k-8 25watt with the 18 watt tubes to make the timing for the original stocking stuffer (hammonds were late) and upgraded them to 35 watt Z11 iron as a stocking stuffer this yr. It nests on top of a headphone-amp that was also his stocking stuffer. We also swapped out the 6U10's with 6AC10's which won the tube rolling contest over the other all the other triple triodes.
Built another one with 6GV5 18watt tubes with the 6.6k hammond iron 40 watt when they arrived and started the third with the 33 watt output tubes and 60 watt hammond iron. The larger one with the 6LB6 tubes and I like 6.6k iron for a little more class A over power output. I do not use UL with this design and it sounds great!. I has a low end that allows you to feel the music breath.
I started to mount to the top plate after bread-boarding it and trying different power iron combinations. I decided to use a damper diode for slow B+ start from a diode power supply to prevent voltage overshoot in the B+ to the caps. Worked great and I will also use it on the KEG-EAR ST70 clone project. 6CG3 damper tube as a slow start switch.
I wanted to mount, nest the amp on a phono-preamp so I started the PCB's for the preamp and it will also be 16" by 13". Looking for a 12" wide board of south american cherry, walnut to make the chassis from. I have one cut from Oak but may use it on the KEG-EAR version. I wanted the grain to match between the 2 chassis when stacked.
The RIAA PCB is almost stuffed, just need to measure the caps for the RIAA poles and match the resistors and then start etching the other 4 PCB's.
All PCB's are done by toner transfer etch in the sink. It is time consuming, it took 2 days for me to get the RIAA PCB as far as I did in the pic below. I have substituted PIO .47u for the WIMA's and still need to measure and match the resistors of the poles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9210129.jpg (877.6 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Compactron upgrade.jpg (160.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg compactron3-3.jpg (745.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg mack-up3.jpg (600.2 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg ha2b.jpg (82.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Compactron PCB J2.jpg (632.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg side_view2.jpg (252.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg comp3b.jpg (112.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by roline; 11th February 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12th March 2013, 03:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I need this schema, you can tell me please? Thanks
mail: hacuong67 at gmail dot com

Last edited by AJT; 12th March 2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: email edited to prevent spamming....
Old 12th March 2013, 05:12 AM   #9
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

why not pm roline directly, i am sure he will accomodate you....
Old 12th July 2013, 02:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Schematic of Compactron Amp with 6U10 triple triode for driver tube. Other variants are available for rolling as well as output tubes. This amp was based on the 6JN6, 6GV5 18watt sweep tubes and the larger 6LB6 tubes can also be used. I've used different power transformers with 400VB+ voltages with the larger tubes, really more power available than what I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COMPACTRON 2-60.jpg (172.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PC270357.jpg (776.2 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by roline; 12th July 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!