• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

has anyone used a chip for an input driver to a 2A3 or the like??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What's the point? The large swings required mandate high voltage semiconductors (Power mosfets?) or transformers - probably will not sound like a tube amplifier either. Can you fit a pair of 5842/D3A or similar? They're really quite small. Alternately investigate 6112, 6021, 5903, 5744, etc. submini tubes which take up even less space, and could be under chassis mounted if need be..

www.electra-print.com

There are designs with power op amps that are getting twice the power from triodes, such as a 25w 300B SE and a 50w 300B PP. It should allow a chip to perform without getting hot, and both the chip and tube have quite good sound. I wouldn't know if it makes sense, but it is best to drive the ouput triodes with as strong a drive as possible, and this may do it.

Last edited:
It was just a thought. The chassis is at the paint show and I don't want to drill more holes if I decide to use another tube. The tube I am using right now is the 6LR8 with a pentode and triode in the same bottle. I am running 350v B+ SE.

I see that the Electra-print is running 500v B+ so that would mean changing PTX as well. Maybe best to leave it be as is.

hey CLS, it was your build that got me thinking on it. I was just going to build a junk amp with a consol amp type chassis and the chassis has turning into a work of art and I think more fitting of a nicer tube. But at this point, I think I will build it with the 6LR8 and enjoy it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.