6N3 Tube Preamp with DC-DC converter - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2010, 11:01 PM   #31
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for finding the datasheet...

I'm going to tie the left out into the right in, bridging the amp for mono so that i can use it as a guitar preamp...

I still plan on bypassing the step up and just using 110v. for the plates from a cheap DC-AC inverter...
Old 1st October 2010, 05:23 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

So, I just got done putting my 3rd one together and I used the bridge idea...doesn't work. I think that it's oscillating. Tonight I'll take it back down and undo the bridge and see if I can't get something better out of it..

-Nick
Old 18th October 2010, 10:32 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm totally new to tubes... I'm interested in modding this pcb so I hope this thread will grow up.
Today I've connected the buffer to a Ta2024 Helder amp, I had a nice feeling after a couple of hours of burn in.
I've noticed some hum particularly while touching the pot, maybe it will disappear when in a metal case with proper grounding.
The 7805 regulator runs terribly hot... I'm planning to desolder it and screw it with some thermal grease on the metal case.
Tonight I bought a Jan 5670 GE tube on eBay.
Also I wonder if different diodes and better resistors could give some improvement.

Last edited by Calamaro; 18th October 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:06 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I don't think so. If you examine the schematic, you'll notice that there is a gain of.....wait for it......ZERO. THis is a cathode follower and doesn't produce any gain what so ever. I found that you absolutely have to use a transformer, not a wall-wart. The heaters need to run on AC power, not DC...Plus it does go up after you rectify it...

I turned this into a guitar "pre"amp. It distorts nicely, and doesnt interfere with anything else. I'm currently building a true tube amplifier, the AA4 (or All American 4)...

Peace,
Nicholas
Old 19th October 2010, 04:28 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Nicholas, zero gain do it means that it's a buffer and not a preamp? My purpose here is to improve detail and soundstage and to have a more analogic/tubee sound.

Someone recommends Schottky diodes in a heater PSU, it seems that 1N4007s switching noise get into the music.

I'm planning to use a toroidal transformer (12v - 150VA) for both the buffer and the TA2024 amp (the latter after rectification).

Last edited by Calamaro; 19th October 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 19th October 2010, 07:01 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yhea, the one that I had was just a buffer. I think that if you run it off of that transformer, you'll be fine, just be sure that you have a good filter before you give that power to the TA2020...

Peace,
Nicholas
Old 19th October 2010, 09:36 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Can I take off buffer output capacitors as I have TA2024 amp input capacitors?
Old 20th October 2010, 02:32 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure, as I don't have the circuit handy...I would think that it would be ok though...

I really like Mr. Helder's wares, espically his TA2024, it doesn't get any cheaper for a HiFi system...

Peace,
Nicholas
Old 20th October 2010, 06:54 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that the voltages are much higher in tube gear, so if there is a DC component on the output and you remove the capacitor it has the potential to destroy your amplifier real quick-like.

Always measure first.
Old 28th November 2010, 07:06 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Any chance anybody could tell me if it would be hard to convert this to a Class A SE Amplifier?

Thanks,
Nicholas

Hide this!Advertise here!