Small Tube/SS hybrid amplifier design 9V - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2010, 07:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've already agreed that the schematic in the first post is not good for what I'm looking to do. I was now focusing on the second schematic in post #4. Since this is a headphone amp, I would think it would have to be halfway decent to listen to. I'm just thinking of coupling that to some sort of small chip amp for a compact stereo amp that has a nice tube sounding front end to it. This approach also has the added benefit of being able to use it with a pair of headphones and bypassing the power amp section altogether.

Glenn
Old 24th September 2010, 07:35 PM   #12
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

But it still has far too low a supply voltage, so the only "tube sound" you will get is distortion. If you want to use a valve then you need 30-40V minimum; even then you will get some distortion. Valves don't magically wipe away "SS sound" - like any other component they either add/subtract very little (when used correctly) or add their own distortions (when used badly).
Old 24th September 2010, 07:49 PM   #13
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
But it still has far too low a supply voltage, so the only "tube sound" you will get is distortion. If you want to use a valve then you need 30-40V minimum; even then you will get some distortion. Valves don't magically wipe away "SS sound" - like any other component they either add/subtract very little (when used correctly) or add their own distortions (when used badly).
I know I thought the same thing so I built it! How can a tube run on such a low voltage. However in the link the guy refers to the tube being used in low voltage applications in the battery circuits in the military! Not with an inverter!

So I built the circuit out of curiosity and I have to say it sounds quite good even when amplified at party levels! OK it's not hifi, however it gives mini systems a run for their money! You can hear people breath as they sing and the wood on acoustic guitar!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 24th September 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 24th September 2010, 08:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The sound reminds me of an old HMV record player with better high frequency response!

I thought about ECC83 ECC81 etc however this seems only true for the 82. I have an old RCA 82 playing kate bush as I type this!

Last edited by M Gregg; 24th September 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 24th September 2010, 08:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the review, probably worth building since it's a pretty simple circuit.
I'll post pictures when I complete the prototype. Thanks for all the input everyone!

EDIT:
Here's the full explanation of the circuit http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12...LM317-Headamp/
Old 24th September 2010, 08:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

You must treat it as a hifi project all the same things apply. Built mine on tag board and mounted the tube socket on it!

All the Best!

Last edited by M Gregg; 24th September 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It was done as a fun project!

Just for fun I built mine in a cigar box!
LOL couple of hours after work!

DF96 I have now put an LED under the tube, because it annoys people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hp amp.jpg (21.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0400.jpg (21.6 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by M Gregg; 24th September 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:22 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks very nice - some photos of the inside ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 25th September 2010, 04:28 AM   #19
soro is offline soro  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soro
How about this one?
I made it.
B+ 12V bettery supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headphone-amp.jpg (33.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4265-1.JPG (123.6 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4230-1.JPG (120.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 25th September 2010, 07:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Ready-made for T-amp

There is a $20 pre-build buffer board with 12AU7 intended for Tripath amps so it may work with LM as well. I have one with TA2020 and it does make a difference ('rounding' the sound). It's fed off 12V but the tube gets 43V (3ma) which is a more realistic level. You can see it at
Special for Tripath! 12AU7 Buffer Amp for smooth sound - eBay (item 260658637265 end time Sep-30-10 20:25:26 PDT)

Hide this!Advertise here!