Got an old Westinghouse radio today!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2010, 02:53 AM   #1
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default Got an old Westinghouse radio today!!!

A coworker brought me this Westinghouse Canada Model 511 radio today. I mentioned in a conversation a couple of weeks ago that I had an interest in tube amps. He has been collecting them for several years and said he had one that he would give me if I wanted it. Cool! Of course I accepted his charity. So today, sitting in my chair when I came in my office was this beauty.
It powers up and even receives a station or two. The sound is very scratchy. Even walking across the floor near it causes some scratchiness in the sound as the floor vibrates. When I move the tuner dial, VERY scratchy.
It's got 3 bands: SP, MU, P.B. I'm at a loss about these, except I know one of them is AM.
It's also got a volume and tone control.
So, I'm not sure where to start. I'd say the volume and tone control need De-ox'ed and Faderlubed. The tuner needs cleaned, so I suppose that should be next. And then a recap. Somewhere along the way, the bulbs around the tuning scale need replaced too.
Can anyone tell me about this radio? Any advice or suggestions? I can use all the help I can get! Thanks.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back1.JPG (246.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Front1.JPG (199.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Amp1.JPG (271.8 KB, 164 views)
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:13 AM   #2
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Sweet looking radio. well worth cleaning up and restoring.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cute!

I took the liberty of tweaking the one photo so folks can get a better look at it.

se

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Cute!

I took the liberty of tweaking the one photo so folks can get a better look at it.

se
Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Wow, does it receive stations without antenna connected? Great!

I would start from replacing filter capacitors. Leave old high cans as is, just unsolder wires from them and put under the chassis a couple of modern caps, they are much smaller in size.
Second, you need to clean a variable capacitor. Most probably some dust between stator and rotor plates caused it to be scratchy. Or sliding contact that grounds the rotor is dirty and oxidized.
Then remove all paper was capacitors and solder instead of them modern film capacitors.
I suggest you to do everything one by one.
You may check also values of all resistors, carbon comp resistors of such an age usually drift a lot.
Then you will need to align it carefully. For the beginning, don't touch IF tuning slugs. Just tune it to the highest frequency (rotor plates off the stator), then carefully adjust trimming capacitor in input selector tank (don't adjust the trimmer in heterodyne can!) by maximal loudness.
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I may end up with a Philco Chassis 89 receiver from my DIL who needs money. I'll end up paying more than it is worth to help her out. I did some research on it and there are lots of web sites dedicated to restoration of old radios.

Take your time and do some studying before you start restoring it. It will pay off in the long run.
Old 23rd September 2010, 06:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm kind of a Westinghouse freak..

Want to do some trading for that radio?
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Lovely radio - much nicer than your usual ganky sheet metal console chassis. Treat it nice, and it will be a balm for both the eyes and the ears.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807tubenut View Post
I'm kind of a Westinghouse freak..

Want to do some trading for that radio?
I really can't trade away this radio. It was given to me by a collector and trading it doesn't seem appropriate to me. Thanks for the offer though.
Mike
Old 23rd September 2010, 04:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hope you get that thing back to 100%, it looks like a real gem!

There was a nifty guide for stripping the old cap cans down, and installing modern capacitors inside them to keep a full factory appearance, If I can find the guys site, ill shoot it your way!

What tubes is it using?

Hide this!Advertise here!