Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2010, 05:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need a decent chassis punch set

Ive looked into the Greenlee punch sets, but theyre too rich for my blood. Id prefer a hand punch type set, to be used to punch holes for tube sockets and other amplifier hardware. Whats out there that I can get for ~$200 or so? What i have in mind is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ASMMG6Z68CKOY
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:37 PM   #2
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I found a 7235BB Greenlee set on ebay for $55 free shipping...It took a little while to find but if you're not in a hurry I bet you could find a good deal on there.
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I thought that looked like the set I saw in Harbor Freight:
Hydraulic Punch Driver Kit
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You don't need or want an off brand hydraulic punch set. Stick with Greenlee brand. There are lots of them on eBay right now. A conduit punch set will give you usable holes, although they will be slightly over size because they're meant for EMT connectors. This is apposed to standard sizes like , 1 or 1 inch.
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That Harbor Fright hydraulic punch set is neat, but I still have reservations. I bought their manual knockout punch kit. Technically, it works. The punches aren't very hard, so they seem to dull quickly. They aren't very sharp in the first place, so the holes they make are shaped more like a Pringle than a circle. None of the sizes included in the set are quite right for tube sockets - it was designed for conduits.

Considering the low cost, I'll get over these minor issues. I'll probably even use it again on another project. However, if I paid $100 for the hydraulic set and it worked no better than the manual set, I think I would find myself wishing I had just bought a real set of Greenlees.
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This appears to be the one cjkpkg was talking about. Would this punch set cover most of what Id need to punch a top plate?

NEW GREENLEE 7235BB SLUGBUSTER PUNCH SET 1/2" ? 1 1/4" - eBay (item 270630888865 end time Oct-04-10 07:04:48 PDT)
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:47 PM   #7
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

0.89", 1.12", 1.36", and 1.70" actual hole sizes.

The 0.89" works perfect for a 9-pin chassis mount socket. The 1.12" will work perfectly for an octal socket - working on a project right now. The 1.36" worked perfectly where I needed some additional clearance for a PCB mounted octal where I wanted there to be enough clearance for the socket due to standoff length and height of the chassis.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I bought the Greenlee punches on eBay. I just got the 7/8" for $10. Don't hurry be patient.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
What about this one? Knockout Punch Kit
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

how often are you going to use them?

Unles you either use them regularly OR are just into having nice gear (guilty) the economically literate thing to do is mark out your chassis, then take it along to a tame engineering or sheetmetal place to do the punching for you...

Hide this!Advertise here!