Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2010, 12:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Projector 6V6 Tube Amp rats nest p2p

I have a point to point rats nest 6v6 tube amp that was pulled from an RCA projector that has incredible tone! I have had people freak out over the guitar tone this thing has especially when it is turned up. There are tubes powered and I dont think there is any way they are all being used for the amps sound. I have read some of the tubes were used for different functions in the RCA PJ.

I have built tons of stompboxes and DiY amplifiers before so I am no stranger to getting my hands dirty and testing things. Where would I start at to find out what is essential and what isn't?

I have a buncha pics I took in case someone was familiar with the PJ amp that I have and might know some info on it off the top of their head.

that speaker is amazing sounding.

rest of pics at Index of /misc/6v6

any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (234.8 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (180.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (295.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 21st September 2010, 04:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's not a rat's nest; that's how everything was built back then. Notice every solder joint has a dot of red paint which indicates it has been inspected.

Your pictures are so big I can't get a perspective. What is the tube complement? And what is your question?
Old 21st September 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
That's not a rat's nest; that's how everything was built back then. Notice every solder joint has a dot of red paint which indicates it has been inspected.

Your pictures are so big I can't get a perspective. What is the tube complement? And what is your question?
LOL i wasn't calling it a rats nest thats just what they used to call the older style of point to point.

I am trying to find out which tubes are being used etc. Basically find out what makes the thing sound sooooo good. the tubes are 1 5Y3GT, 3 6v6GT, 1 6SL7GT, 6J5, and 1 6J7
Old 21st September 2010, 03:11 PM   #4
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarez View Post
LOL i wasn't calling it a rats nest thats just what they used to call the older style of point to point.

I am trying to find out which tubes are being used etc. Basically find out what makes the thing sound sooooo good. the tubes are 1 5Y3GT, 3 6v6GT, 1 6SL7GT, 6J5, and 1 6J7
The only way you'll know is to find or create a schematic. Start tracing those wires.

..Todd
Old 21st September 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I only see two transformers, one for power (black with end bells) and one probably output transformer (open frame). With three 6V6s it is interesting. SE with three in parallel? I only see four wires from the potential OPT.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Probably three in parallel. But since it's for a projector, maybe one was used for some other function. They could get enough power without building a phase inverter or a tapped transformer.
Old 21st September 2010, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You can always pull the tubes ... one at a time ... and see what happens.
It should be easy to see if all three 6V6 tubes are in parallel. It's possible that one of the tubes is a voltage regulator or, perhaps, connected to the exciter lamp if the projector used optical sound.
I love these old amplifiers. Many of them did a spectacular job.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

RCA engineers were serious guys who probably never had the silly idea of using three 6V6 in parallel
More probably a PP.
Remains to find what job did the third ?

Yves.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvesm View Post
RCA engineers were serious guys who probably never had the silly idea of using three 6V6 in parallel
More probably a PP.

Yves.
I agree. The amp would produce much more power in a PP configuration.
I'll bet it's a voltage regulator.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvesm View Post
More probably a PP.
here is the answer: NJ7P Tube Database Search

Hide this!Advertise here!