Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2010, 05:00 PM   #1
rkoonce is offline rkoonce  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Engineer's Amp

Hi Guys,

I just completed my version of Pete Millett's Engineer's Amp. I must say it's very nice to listen to. I removed the feedback after a listening session because I think it sounds better without. Thanks to Pete for making this circuit available. Excellent design. This amp was built as a studio monitor amp for Shawn Phillips.

Best regards,

Raymond Koonce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6207.jpg (56.1 KB, 376 views)
Old 19th September 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

Wahou !

It's so red
Old 19th September 2010, 06:19 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It looks good... and red....

Very nice build quality.
Old 19th September 2010, 06:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That is great looking, My kinda style.

Good job
Old 19th September 2010, 06:48 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Raymond likes primary colors. Take a look at his other builds.
Old 19th September 2010, 08:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoonce View Post
Hi Guys,

I just completed my version of Pete Millett's Engineer's Amp. I must say it's very nice to listen to. I removed the feedback after a listening session because I think it sounds better without. Thanks to Pete for making this circuit available. Excellent design. This amp was built as a studio monitor amp for Shawn Phillips.

Best regards,

Raymond Koonce
Hi Ray,

I'm tempted to get in an order, errr, request, myself

{For the others: I've actually touched and listened to this amp, or at least it's twin. Great amp!}

jan
Old 19th September 2010, 09:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

we had a marketing campaign that ran for a couple of years here in NEw Zealand for a brand of local beer (Lion Red) the tag line was "Its red, like a fire engine!"

I immediately thought of it when I saw your build...

Sure as its not red like a communist with that line-up of components!

Great looking piece.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This is the first time I've built anything of this magnitude on a circuit board. The board-stuffing was easy, sort of like paint by numbers, but, no matter how many times you go over that check list, you're gonna leave something out. It was a real facepalm when I found it :-}
The chassis work went really quickly this time. I had a sheet metal shop bend the aluminum and weld in tabs for the ends and bottom cover. I cut all the holes. I had everything powder coated at a local firm. It went from raw chassis to red in four days.
Transformers are as specified on Pete's website from Edcor. Nice transformers and if you order the Engineer's Amp combo, you get a price break. I took the end bells off to have then powder coated and cut threaded rods and used acorn nuts for appearance when I put them back together.
This was a fun amp to build. It sounds great (I prefer it without feedback) on my Cornwalls, *really* loud!
Old 19th September 2010, 11:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention, Shawn requested dual volume controls, so that's what I did. I replaced the load R on the circuit board with a really nice miniature stepped attenuator on each channel. I lifted one end of the grid stopper and connected the wiper there. Works like a charm.

Hide this!Advertise here!