• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Easy Way To Reduce 251V to 235V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone supply an easy way to reduce 251 volt mains voltage to say 235-240 volts?I'm sick of blowing tubes.
I want to build a jukebox with 3 tube and 1 SS amps,and want to reduce the pressure on the tubes.I just want to reduce the mains voltage for all amps.I've thought of using resistors in parallel to achieve the power handling.
What do you think? Custom transformer?
thanks
Paul

Can anyone supply an easy way to reduce 251 volt mains voltage to say 235-240 volts?I'm sick of blowing tubes.
I want to build a jukebox with 3 tube and 1 SS amps,and want to reduce the pressure on the tubes.I just want to reduce the mains voltage for all amps.I've thought of using resistors in parallel to achieve the power handling.
What do you think? Custom transformer?
thanks
Paul

bit unclear on what your problem is Paul - is the 251 V AC or DC? Measured where in the circuit? A difference in B+ of 11 to 16 volts is NOT what is blowing tubes...

My AC mains voltage from the wall outlet is 251V.This I think is too high for tube amps that usually specify 230V AC input.
I know I could alter each amp that I buy, but I'm looking for a way to reduce the GPO voltage by a small amount without paying heaps.
I hope this makes sense.
thanks
Paul
PS Solid state amps don't seem to mind the extra voltage but I worry about tube amps,especially fixed bias.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the replies.I read the article on bucking transformers on the ESP site and decided to build one.
When I went to the Tortech transformer site to look for an appropriate tranny; lo and behold they have introduced a pair of autotransformers to knock 20V off your power supply.Serendipity.
thanks
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.