Show us you COMPACT tube amps ! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2010, 12:38 AM   #21
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Totally unimaginable!

------------

Say, how about DHT? Any compact DHT amp?
Old 19th September 2010, 02:27 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default compact tube amps?

I thought I would see pictures of nuvistor amps, but I apparently am the only person with a bin full of 7895's pulled out of the trash in original boxes. I've never seen sockets for sale for them, just one lonely socket on the Triplett tube tester. Your 9 pin tubes are tubas compared to the piccolo trumpets of nuvistors.
You remember, the US was putting tubes in anti-aircraft shells in 1945. What they were was a big secret, but I would nominate the nuvistor.

Last edited by indianajo; 19th September 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 19th September 2010, 02:32 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

i guess compact is a relative term. We always laughed over here in New Zealand when we read about GM or Fords' "compact" models - you know, the ones that only seated 6 people and got 12 mpg...
Old 19th September 2010, 02:41 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

My second best friend's 66 falcon got 22 mpg, as long as only the two of us rode in it.
Old 19th September 2010, 02:47 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Say, how about DHT? Any compact DHT amp?
While not terribly compact, it is smaller than at least one of the amps shown here. It is about 12 inches by 11 inches by 7 inches tall and weighs about 25 pounds. 23 of them are iron and copper! The OPT's are Electra - Print. It is the smallest amp that I currently have and the best sounding.

It makes 2 WPC with 45's or 483's and 6 WPC with 300B's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lexan_3_A.jpg (289.1 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg Lexan_2_A.jpg (249.2 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg TubelabSE_NX-483_640.jpg (337.9 KB, 597 views)
Old 19th September 2010, 02:52 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
I thought I would see pictures of nuvistor amps
Everybody knows there hasn't been a nuvistor amp worth talking about since the "Big Bang" single ended triode amplifier.
Old 19th September 2010, 04:45 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

My "No Light District" 6CW5 P-P amp will be pretty compact, though not as compact as I wanted. I went to a larger case to make life easier for myself (I have another small amp in the works that's crowded inside and a right bastard to debug), though it's still reasonably small. Output iron is inside the case, as it's old Baldwin stuff that's fairly ugly. There's another SMPS, too, but you knew that, didn't you... Pics to follow after more work has been done.

Last edited by wrenchone; 19th September 2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 19th September 2010, 01:36 PM   #28
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
The SMPS schematics wouldn't do much good if you don't have access to the materials and the facilities to make the transformer.
You mean like leftover transformers from ATX PSUs and such ? What I'm curious about is how you took care of startup, regulation etc.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 19th September 2010, 01:42 PM   #29
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
Spudnik One

A little over one watt per channel using 6S45P with series anti-triode; parafeed output using AMVECO 25VA potted toroids. Powered from a 12V wall wart using internal RECOM DC-DC converters.

Cheers,

Michael
Hi Michael, can you tell us more about this little thing. I really like it. Pix, scheems....whatever you got.
Old 19th September 2010, 07:19 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Arnulf, the transformers aren't recycled from PC power supply rubbish, but are designed and built from scratch. The basic design uses the ST L6565 quasi-resonant flyback controller, with some changes for each design situation. The chip has provision for startup. You can check out the data sheets and application note on line if you're curious. It'll also answer some of your questions about regulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!