• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where can I find choke and cap for Dynaco MKIII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Dynaco MKIII amplifier that is in fairly good condition. There are problems though, it has no psu cap, a bad psu choke, and only one OT tube. Does anybody have some ideas where I can get a new cap, choke, and pair of tubes for moderately cheap? I'm willing to pay some decent money if I can find some nice tubes. I really like the old genalex KT88's.

Any ideas on good substitute tubes instead? Otherwise, everything is there and in good condition, I have cleaned and re-wired the amplifier completely so everything is ready to go with these new parts.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

-- Duo

Hi,
there aren't any suitable caps that wil fit in the can. The original is not quite suitable either, as the rectifier usually conducts first and the B+ goes through the roof.
Triode Electronics sells a circuit board cap substitute. It puts 400 volt capable caps in series for 800 volt rating, which will do OK even for SS diodes, but the screen rating of th power tubes is probably higher than should be run.
Keep the 5AR4, put in the SDS cap board and look at their power tub selection. KT88 or 6550 should do you fine.
They sell replacement chokes too.
regards,
Douglas

This guy here in Sweden is selling a replacement quad-cap for the Dynaco Mk III. I don´t know if he ships abroad though, by you could always send him an email and ask for more info.

http://www.svalander.se/shoppen/mk3lyt.htm

The cap is custom made for him by Rifa. He sold these caps 10 years ago so he knows that this replacement work very well in the Mk III since owners still use those caps sold then with great results (a translation of some of the text).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

/Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.