USB Oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The site is down at the moment, but that same EEV blog site has the details of the software mod to turn that 50MHz to a 100MHz unit. I have done this and it works well.

I have the Rigol and it works well. Great for automatic measurements. I do still have an old Tech 2225 50MHz analogue scope that I use. even though it is only 50MHz compared to 100MHz, it gives a better picture of a waveform (no pixelation), so is useful for looking for distortion, ringing etc.

Ah, here is the link http://www.eevblog.com/2010/03/31/eevblog-70-turn-your-rigol-ds1052e-oscilloscope-into-a-100mhz-ds1102e/

Thanks, I saw that link yesterday when I was checking out the first video. It didn't work then either. I'll follow it. Are you able to confirm the higher speed?

I looked more closely at the photos and I see what you mean by the pixelation. That is an obvious disadvantage to the PC based systems which have far superior clarity.

I have a B&K 10MHz analog scope but it has an intermittent trigger problem that I have not been able to chase down. It's just barely adequate to begin with and the problems can be maddening. That is pushing me to upgrade. I'd still like to get a good analog Tek like a 2465.

Last edited:
Remember the "bits" math resolution business on FFT........Ye higher the better vs. cost.
If you use an 8 bit vertical resolution don't expect harmonic guarantee better than -50dB/c. Anything lower than this cannot be relied apon. A 12bit will get one down to around -90dB/c.
dB/c = relative to input reference (or carrier level)
I use a Picoscope 4224. Can be powered via USB port and I like it because of the language flexibility.
Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer products from Pico

richy

Yes I have done it and can confirm the change as in the video. As a cheap first scope, it is great. It is also small and lightweight so easy to transport for troubleshooting jobs. The Rigol is the scope I use at first instance because often I want to see the waveform and know the measurements. If there looks to be ringing on square wave, or looking to see exactly what is happening to top and bottom of a sine wave while changing the level, I will attach the analogue too. I suspect that the 2465 has some measuring functions. If that is so, it is probably worth getting it and not bothering with the Rigol, unless you want both... Rigol has a FFT, but as Richy mentions above, it has limitations re resolution.

It is also good for saving screen images to USB stick. Here is an example (showing pixelation limitations of the display).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.