Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The New Yaqin/Music Angel/Meng & Others Discussion Thread

Interested if anyone owns, or is looking at purchasing any of these Chinese amps. The reviews are mixed, but not at all negative, that I can tell.

My goal as a 'newby tubey' is an entry level tube amp for a 2 channel sound from the pc.

So, the amp should be integrated to work from the HD PC soundcard. My speakers are small TCA WAF-1s. I may however use it in the theater for 2 channel powering larger speakers.

My budget is less than 500.00 and will need for 110 outlet.

One in particular that I am looking at the latest version Yaquin MC-10L. Seems to have favorable reviews including some who have had it for 1-3 years without any issues except for fuses and just rolling tubes. The ebayers have great feedbacks as well.

Anyone that would guide me in this decision would be great!!

Thanks,
Rob
Old 17th September 2010, 01:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good luck dude..... Everytime the subject of a "definitive" Chinese invasion tube amp thread comes up, or a main place at DIYA to have the same, it dies and the stuck-in-the-mud old timers refuse to participate either.

All you'll get here is very sporadic questions or short threads on Chinese amps at very long spread out intervals.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:44 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmore View Post
Good luck dude..... stuck-in-the-mud old timers refuse to participate either.
You have to understand that we stuck in the mud old timers don't buy that stuff so we have nothing useful to say about it. We design and build our own, you know, diy not "biy" (buy it yourself).

That said, the few Chinese Invasion amps that I've seen were designed pretty poorly and constructed cheaply. There may be some good ones, but diy still rules.
Old 17th September 2010, 03:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You have to understand that we stuck in the mud old timers don't buy that stuff so we have nothing useful to say about it. We design and build our own, you know, diy not "biy" (buy it yourself).

That said, the few Chinese Invasion amps that I've seen were designed pretty poorly and constructed cheaply. There may be some good ones, but diy still rules.
SY,

I would love to be a DIYer, however, I have no knowledge whatsoever, in fact everything I've read seems a bit precarious.

Having to purchase a meter and other tools would be necessary just to begin and it seemed to me to buy one first and get my feet wet and go from there.

And the latest reviews on these mentioned above have improved and are not too shabby, expecially for an entry level person.

A good used known brand is also an option, but very hard to find, in my price range of course.

For those of you who 'design and build' your own, good for you....what a gift!!!

For those of ignorant of DIY, would be happy if we owned a Tube Amp and it just worked and sounded great, isn't that the end result anyway, Pretty would be a plus.

I am learning a lot about tubes, the way they work and how they sound to different ears, quite an audio education.

I have begun my research on the threads that are pertaining to the subject, however, I will keep up with you guys as I may need advice on switching out tubes. Who knows I might need a Tube roller.

Best regards,
Rob
Old 17th September 2010, 03:30 AM   #5
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

There are several threads about these amps. As a general rule they are (as previously stated) poorly constructed with total disregard for modern safety standards.

The threads generally evolve into a discussion on 'How I made this amp a reasonable piece of audiophile equipment'.

If you can't or are not willing to learn how to work on tube amplifiers, I recommend you stay away from them.

There are a few exceptions, search for the threads.

Where are you located?
Old 17th September 2010, 03:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
There are several threads about these amps. As a general rule they are (as previously stated) poorly constructed with total disregard for modern safety standards.

The threads generally evolve into a discussion on 'How I made this amp a reasonable piece of audiophile equipment'.

If you can't or are not willing to learn how to work on tube amplifiers, I recommend you stay away from them.

There are a few exceptions, search for the threads.

Where are you located?

Located in the Richmond, Virginia area.
Old 17th September 2010, 03:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As SY said, you are asking the wrong people. This is a do-it-yourself forum. Try asking over at AK or something.
Old 17th September 2010, 03:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
As SY said, you are asking the wrong people. This is a do-it-yourself forum. Try asking over at AK or something.

Sure thing!

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2010, 03:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

From the replies, thats exactly the point: D I Y.

A definitive Chinese invasion tube amp forum or sticky data-base thread for most of the most popular (and affordable) amps, to then be able to mod or improve them as theGimp stated. And located here, not at AK.
Old 19th September 2010, 03:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmore View Post
From the replies, thats exactly the point: D I Y.

A definitive Chinese invasion tube amp forum or sticky data-base thread for most of the most popular (and affordable) amps, to then be able to mod or improve them as theGimp stated. And located here, not at AK.
Chinese amps generally need DIY input and in my experience an excellent introduction to learning about tube amps. I started with a Sweet peach FU50 SE amp, it's now a SEP amp with SRPP driver and a Kuei Yang Wang inspired feedback methodology

Working well out of the box is reserved for Ming-da and Yaqin I think - possibly some others. They can all use DIY mods however..

Hide this!Advertise here!