Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2010, 12:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EICO 666 meter needle moves too fast/pegs too hard...help?

Any tips on slowing down/taming an unusually fast, hard pegging meter needle that otherwise calibrates and reads accurately? It just moves way too rapidly and when moving to full deflection and/or back to zero it overshoots/pegs way too hard. I have a perfect working 667 and it does not exhibit this behavior. I have already done the diodes across the meter mod on both units. Thanks!
Old 15th September 2010, 01:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the double posts guys. My computer crashed when I hit the "post new thread" button so I re-wrote this and posted it here not realizing till now that my original post had published.
Old 15th September 2010, 01:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
An electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the meter head is usually used to slow it down. Do you have a schematic?

Edit: I've found the schematic, no electrolytic there. Looks like a different type of head, if it measures well?

Last edited by Wavebourn; 15th September 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 15th September 2010, 01:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is a stock meter for this specific unit. I would think if it were different spec or damaged it wouldn't give me accurate readings but it calibrates perfectly and when testing the same tube with same approx settings on both the 666 and 667 I get the same readings. It just moves so danged fast!

Hide this!Advertise here!