• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sockets for a WE429A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Can someone please advise of proper socket type (name/number) for a Western Electric 429A tube?

Is has nine pins, and per the WE spec sheet simply says, "Butten Stem 9-pin".

The socket diameter would have to be larger than a 12ax....

Thanks,

Charlie T.

Magnoval - .050" pins on 11/16" circle (1.25 mm x 17.465 mm circle)

Novar has same pin spacing but has .040 " pins, might work if you force it in...

My 429As would not fit into the chinese sockets even though they were sold as "Magnoval" The only decent ones are the Svetlana SK509 sockets.

Transmitting Tube Sockets, Chimneys & Plate Caps

What operating points are you planning to use? My 429A amp runs satisfactory but the bias point seems off. Right now they are set for about 25ma each at idle with 250v on the plate and 130v g2. I would like to increase the current but going any higher makes the g1 voltage too low, like -2, -3 volts at most. The transformers are from an old Knight kit that used 6BM8s. The schematic says 8K plate to plate so I run 8 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm tap to half the impedance.

My 429As would not fit into the chinese sockets even though they were sold as "Magnoval"

My sockets were not made for Magnoval tubes. They were supposed to be for tubes with .040 pins like the 6LR8. I wore a pair of sockets out using them to test about 75 tubes, so I stuffed the WE 418's in. They fit. They work with E55L's too. The 6LR8 no longer stays in the socket, or even makes reliable contact.

My 429As would not fit into the chinese sockets even though they were sold as "Magnoval" The only decent ones are the Svetlana SK509 sockets.

Transmitting Tube Sockets, Chimneys & Plate Caps

What operating points are you planning to use? My 429A amp runs satisfactory but the bias point seems off. Right now they are set for about 25ma each at idle with 250v on the plate and 130v g2. I would like to increase the current but going any higher makes the g1 voltage too low, like -2, -3 volts at most. The transformers are from an old Knight kit that used 6BM8s. The schematic says 8K plate to plate so I run 8 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm tap to half the impedance.
The sockets you mention sound as if they have a similar provenance to the Loctal sockets and anode caps that I bought,neither of which fitted. The Loctal sockets seemed to have been "designed" with no understanding of their operation.DIY'ers need to be aware of these before shelving out for international shipping.

My sockets were not made for Magnoval tubes. They were supposed to be for tubes with .040 pins like the 6LR8. I wore a pair of sockets out using them to test about 75 tubes, so I stuffed the WE 418's in. They fit. They work with E55L's too. The 6LR8 no longer stays in the socket, or even makes reliable contact.

In magnoval contact is good, the pin of tube is slightly more thick, the first inclusion will good contact, after multiple inserts, as you say, there may be a poor contact, the magnoval will have lost its features.

As said, theirs is a 9 pin compactron.

I have ten or twelve these tubes, wiht Ra 27.000, Rload 5K?

I think there are many good tubes, easier at all with big sound.
Really worth its use, e.g. the 6146B are excellent tubes and set them aside in audio.
Is the question sound? the aesthetic? ... respect but I do not understand.

Best regards
Fernan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.