Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 04:17 AM   #311
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops didn't search enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LME49810-200...item27c5ff0561

less than eight with shipping

I plan on using one for my tracer if I ever get back to it.

Last edited by TheGimp; 4th November 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 4th November 2012, 04:33 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Oops didn't search enough:

LME49810 200V HiFi Audio Power Amplifier Driver Stage Qty 1 | eBay

less than eight with shipping

I plan on using one for my tracer if I ever get back to it.
The LME49810 is about $4/ea. here in Shanghai, I am going to the surplus store to see if there is a suitable transformer first, if not, I will go with some back-to-back filament transformers that I have - looks like I won't have any room left in my so-called "chassis".

Jaz
Old 4th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #313
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Ale,

I tried your values just now, and the result was the same... Vg=0 gets distorted when the grid current begins to flow. No problem with the small signal triodes since they don't draw much grid current (at least the ones I tried).

Also, even with 15V on the source, it still does not pull above 0, so no way to trace Vg>0, I'm still not sure why that would be the case, as the sim showed that it should be able to pull above 0.

With about 250V on the plates, here are some shots of the grid drive:

With 5881 (see the bow on the Vg=0 step):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1326040/IMG_1669_sm.jpg

with 12AX7 (clean Vg=0):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1326040/IMG_1674_sm.jpg

Thanks,
Jaz
Hi Jaz,
Well, not sure what bias voltages you have on the FETs. Are u using same power supplies, 5 instead of 15V will make an impact and you will need to change the resistor values.
Looking at your first step is clearly sign of grid current. What grid stopper are u using? I have a switch to select from 0, 100 and 1k resistor I think. I do play with it when this is the case...
Ale
Old 5th November 2012, 02:25 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
Hi Jaz,
Well, not sure what bias voltages you have on the FETs. Are u using same power supplies, 5 instead of 15V will make an impact and you will need to change the resistor values.
Looking at your first step is clearly sign of grid current. What grid stopper are u using? I have a switch to select from 0, 100 and 1k resistor I think. I do play with it when this is the case...
Ale
Ale,

Everything was the same as your drawing. The grid stopper was 1K, tried 10K as well - same result. As I already made a mess of the breadboard, I will re-do it again properly and see if the wiring/layout makes a difference.

Jaz
Old 5th November 2012, 03:27 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

Jaz, did you loose a post? I got an email with a post that is not showing here.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:46 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Me too!
Ale
Old 5th November 2012, 07:12 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogliaa View Post
Me too!
Ale
Yes, I deleted it. I thought I had found a solution to the grid drive (pulling above zero), but it turned out to be short-lived. This was what happened, I did some tests with an IRF840 as the source follower and put +100V on its drain, -100V on its source via a 22K resistor. The waveform looked great without the TUT, when I plug it in and switched on the heater, then the top step got squashed again, anyway, now I can get a solid Vg=0 but not much above that, I don't understand what's happening, need to go back to the textbooks to see how the heater voltage affect the grid, why is it acting like a clamp on the positive grid voltage? Will report back once I get a handle on it, or if you already know the answer, kindly share it with me.

Thanks,
Jaz
Old 5th November 2012, 07:42 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

I think what you're experiencing is a lot of grid current. When near 0V or above you will get current flowing through the grid and this creating a voltage drop across the grid resistor which will turn off the FET depending on the bias used.
I will try to remove the grid resistor - just ensure you have some protection on the drain of the output FET and see what you get.
Ale
Old 5th November 2012, 08:56 AM   #319
Yvesm is online now Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Jaz,

Simply because the grid/cathode space become a forward biased diode when a positive voltage is applied to the grid.
The grid becomes a small anode and "sink" some so called "grid current".

You may choose to build a beefy grid voltage generator with the risk to blow up the grid of a tinny tube.

The same problem will rise up when wou'll start playing with tetrodes and pentodes !

Yves.

Last edited by Yvesm; 5th November 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:54 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Hi Yves,

I will let all it sink in. In the meantime, also found this:
Grid stoppers with AB2 which is relevant to the discussion, I think... It appears that I went overboard with the drain voltage and using a large NMOS like IRF840 probably isn't a good idea either (well that was what I had on hand), so I will try a smaller source follower at lower voltage and move the grid stop resistor closer to the gate (too far now with long wires). Getting there, slowly but surely...

Thanks,
Jaz

Hide this!Advertise here!