Auto Transformer - safety advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
divad68 is offline divad68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to divad68 Send a message via MSN to divad68
Default Auto Transformer - safety advice

I've just ordered this to lower my 240v mains to 220v for use with a Yaqin MC-100B as I didn't fancy attempting to build a buck transformer:

Block | Transformers | Transformers | Auto Transformers | Portable, Chassis, Wall Mounting & Floor Standing |AIM 5.0/2.5

Since placing the order I've noticed a few warnings about the dangers of using auto transformers and on the above web page it does state that, "these units do NOT provide isolation from the main." So please can someone advise what I need to do (or not do) to use this safely? Thanks.
Old 5th September 2010, 04:11 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divad68 View Post
I've just ordered this to lower my 240v mains to 220v for use with a Yaqin MC-100B as I didn't fancy attempting to build a buck transformer:

Block | Transformers | Transformers | Auto Transformers | Portable, Chassis, Wall Mounting & Floor Standing |AIM 5.0/2.5

Since placing the order I've noticed a few warnings about the dangers of using auto transformers and on the above web page it does state that, "these units do NOT provide isolation from the main." So please can someone advise what I need to do (or not do) to use this safely? Thanks.
This is not an issue for your application, it would be an issue if you were using it on the bench and expected the isolation for safety reasons.
Old 5th September 2010, 04:14 PM   #3
divad68 is offline divad68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to divad68 Send a message via MSN to divad68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
This is not an issue for your application, it would be an issue if you were using it on the bench and expected the isolation for safety reasons.
Thanks for that and for the advice you gave in my other thread....even though I did end up shying away from building a bucking transformer!
Old 5th September 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Cookj is offline Cookj  Belgium
diyAudio Member

A 'BUCK' or a 'BOOST' Transformer is basically an implementation of an AutoTransformer

Regards

John

Hide this!Advertise here!