• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Voltage doubler using PSUII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are some good power rated step down trannies made for playstations etc.

Just make sure that these step-down trannies are not autoformers! In Brazil they love these to handle 220V - 110V and vice-versa. You can test it by checking for continuity (resistance) between 'primary' and 'secondary': if you can measure a resistance it means it is an autoformer, and your 'secondary' is actually connected to the net!

What underlies it is the tendency of newcomers to refuse to search on a topic of discussion.

Nope leadbelly. Sorry just lack of time, in between work, looking after a 4 month old baby and trying to do some soldering whenever I'm not changing nappies or heating up formula!.

Just make sure that these step-down trannies are not autoformers!

For sure. These step downs are truly big EI transformers. Aournd 25 uSD for a 400Watt model increasing to around 60 USD for a 1000 watt model.

Was post #6 not suitable?
Voltage doubler using PSUII?

sorry missed that one. was multitasking at work:p

don't we need a resistor/cap series and also change the load to constant current?
How does this look? 723 mV of ripple. maybe with another series of caps this can lower. maybe 2 series of 10000 instead of 1 of 20000uF.

I get 110 volts with this. Perfect for the 6080's.
:

Attachments

• psu 56v.JPG
    psu 56v.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 89
Well hooked it all up to 2 x 6080 in parallel.

After plate resistor got a nice 116v and 100mA bias
BUT a horrible humming from the power supply:mad::mad:

Got 20,000 uF on the last series of caps.

Too much ripple? Not enough filtering?

Maybe some more series of caps.

Maybe just a new transformer will be cheaper than all the big caps:p

I think I should have the highest capacitance on the first leg of caps.
you can see I get much lower ripple with 20K (39mV) on the first leg rather than the last (738mV). Maybe a CCS on the anode would filter out some noise but at 1 amp my DN2540's would explode. I'll try tweaking the caps tonight.

Attachments

• 20000.JPG
    20000.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 680u.JPG
    680u.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Maybe it's not ripple then. Maybe its a bad ground scheme, magnetic fields, or just buzzing transformers!

I'll try the other circuits mentioned on the other thread and also just 1 tranny instead of 2 in series. If no success I'll keep these trannies for heater supplies then.

They are good to heat 4 x 6.3v valves in series and with 3 amps, I can run 4 x 6as7/6080 easily. Hardly got warm.

Last edited:
Maybe it is the trannies I bought.

In any power supply using just transformers, diodes and capacitors, if there is excessive hum, I would always suspect the capacitors first. Your problems in achieving practical DC output voltages close to the theoretical values could also be caused by faulty capacitors.

Other possible sources of hum are those mentioned in MerlinB's post.

The caps are fine. They are used in other amps and are new.

Just looking at taking one apart to possibly reduce the windings to give 12V and doesn't look possible. They seem to be be all sealed together.

Attachments

• 220-28.JPG
    220-28.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 220-28 other.JPG
    220-28 other.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 52
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.